Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing foam from headliner

JetJackson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Exectutive Wagon
Hi Mate, I did another one the other week so refer to this link to a blog I wrote up for it :- VP-S Roof Lining Refreshment

Thanks for your advice. I checked your blog, very well written with good clear pics. I'll go out today and round up some of the "sticky stuff", still got some work to do removing the old foam. I might give Nolans a ring on Monday to see about the fabric.

Cheers, Jet. :beer chug:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i do the wire brush (brush on handle) style of foam removal. works for me and dosent burn up precious electricity...

i just did one and used 2 cans of the selleys kwik grip 350g (just on the material to cardboard bonding). just make sure you spray both contact surfaces liberally and let it tack dry properly before sandwiching together... i wrapped my visors too if you want to have a look...

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/projects/82216-vn-vp-project-cali-style-5.html

JetJackson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Exectutive Wagon
i do the wire brush (brush on handle) style of foam removal. works for me and dosent burn up precious electricity...

i just did one and used 2 cans of the selleys kwik grip 350g (just on the material to cardboard bonding). just make sure you spray both contact surfaces liberally and let it tack dry properly before sandwiching together... i wrapped my visors too if you want to have a look...

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/projects/82216-vn-vp-project-cali-style-5.html

Thanks Hi_ryder! Is the Kwip Grip good enough to hold in the heat, over time? I read that some spray adhesives let go and some don't.

I checked your project post, looks pretty neat. I suppose you're sick of it by now?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
the one i did before this one i used what ever super cheap auto had, think it was septone brand. hasent let go yet, been over a year now...

yea the red project car, im sort of hanging out to get it finished. home reno crap is pissing me off...

here is the daily i was talking about.. Siberian bangle tiger for the win. people always loose it when they get in, paid for itself 10 times over in laughter.

IMG_2990.jpg

JetJackson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Exectutive Wagon
the one i did before this one i used what ever super cheap auto had, think it was septone brand. hasent let go yet, been over a year now...

yea the red project car, im sort of hanging out to get it finished. home reno crap is pissing me off...

here is the daily i was talking about.. Siberian bangle tiger for the win. people always loose it when they get in, paid for itself 10 times over in laughter.

The tiger skin looks sort of Tarzan (beats chest). :)

as for the home reno, we built our house 35 years ago,,,,and the paint, kitchen etc, is still good for another 35 (so I reckon) the boss has other ideas. :)

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
WOW the tiger print, reminded me of the shag pile 80's haha. Well done.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
I had my VY roof lining replaced recently by a mobile professional upholsterer.
Took him a bit over an hour to take it out, scrub the old foam off with a well worn wire brush, blow it all down with compressed air and glue on the new lining and refit.
From my observations the bit you'll have the most bother with is massaging the new material onto the glued surface and getting it smooth without creases or bunching up.
You've basically got to start in the centre and work your way to the edges.
(Might want to make another video of this because you might make some money on ' Australia's Funniest Home Video'.):)

JetJackson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Exectutive Wagon
I had my VY roof lining replaced recently by a mobile professional upholsterer.
Took him a bit over an hour to take it out, scrub the old foam off with a well worn wire brush, blow it all down with compressed air and glue on the new lining and refit.
From my observations the bit you'll have the most bother with is massaging the new material onto the glued surface and getting it smooth without creases or bunching up.
You've basically got to start in the centre and work your way to the edges.
(Might want to make another video of this because you might make some money on ' Australia's Funniest Home Video'.):)

I've seen a few Youtube clips that have made it look sooooo easy (I'm sure it's not), but I'm willing to take a chance and do it, and yes, I am a little toey about getting wrinkles in it.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
You should be ok. The upholsterer sprayed both the lining and the back of the new material and let the cement go off for about 10 mins. Folded the material back on itself over a length of dowel and used it to place material in position.
Worked on a small area at a time and if he did get a fold was able to peel it back off and repress it down taut.
To give you an idea, the way he worked it looked like he was rolling dough to make bread. Pressing and smoothing in all directions.

JetJackson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Exectutive Wagon
You should be ok. The upholsterer sprayed both the lining and the back of the new material and let the cement go off for about 10 mins. Folded the material back on itself over a length of dowel and used it to place material in position.
Worked on a small area at a time and if he did get a fold was able to peel it back off and repress it down taut.
To give you an idea, the way he worked it looked like he was rolling dough to make bread. Pressing and smoothing in all directions.

Thanks for your encouragement :) I am sort of geared up, all I need is to get the material and glue. I'll make some phone calls on Monday.