Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing front bumper

Macka21

Reaction score
Members Ride
CAMMED VY SS Series 2 M6
how do remove the front bumper on the series 2 vy

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
i think there is a thread here for removing bumper. Run a search and it'll pop up.

Macka21

Reaction score
Members Ride
CAMMED VY SS Series 2 M6
yeah i did and nothing for front bumper

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
A mate showed me this recently and now I can have the bar off n on in under 5 minutes

Have a mate help you cathc the bar or place a towel, rag or bit of cardboard under the bar so it doesn't get carved.

Undo the 3 screws on top of the grill near the bonnet release, remove the screws in the wheel arches (2 each side from memory) then in the wheel well grab the bumper and pull it towards the wheel and slightly outwards (away from the car) at the same time. Do the same on the other side and the bar will fall away.

No too sure but I think the S pack has some screws in the lower section of the bar going into the diffuser too that need to be undone before the bar will come away.

Calais is much easier than S pack lol.

If you have foggies disconnect them before you start or they can be unclipped as the bar is removed from the reo, whatever's easiest.

Mak sure once the bar is off you fit a dirty big cooler for trans or power steering and you'll be rocking :yeah:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
A mate showed me this recently and now I can have the bar off n on in under 5 minutes

Have a mate help you cathc the bar or place a towel, rag or bit of cardboard under the bar so it doesn't get carved.

Undo the 3 screws on top of the grill near the bonnet release, remove the screws in the wheel arches (2 each side from memory) then in the wheel well grab the bumper and pull it towards the wheel and slightly outwards (away from the car) at the same time. Do the same on the other side and the bar will fall away.

No too sure but I think the S pack has some screws in the lower section of the bar going into the diffuser too that need to be undone before the bar will come away.

Calais is much easier than S pack lol.

If you have foggies disconnect them before you start or they can be unclipped as the bar is removed from the reo, whatever's easiest.

Mak sure once the bar is off you fit a dirty big cooler for trans or power steering and you'll be rocking :yeah:

Just one thing to add. Leave the top screws above the grille until last, that way the bar won'd drop unexpectedly.

The best order is:

Remove the two little buggers in behind the number plate - they are a fiddle. Usually makes sense to haul off the plate first.

Remove the lower of the two screws in each wheel arch opening. The upper screw is used to hold the inner guard lining in place and can be left untouched.

Gently pull each side of the bar away from the guard. They are firmly clipped in place but will release easily.

Remove the screws along the top above the grille.

The lower lip spoiler should come away with the bumper and not involve any additional screws. I'm not sure about any "diffuser" set up for sports models.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I strongly suggest replacing the two screw-type clips behind the number plate with the push-type clips used on the radiator shroud and a few other places (on the VZ anyway).

The part number is GM-92138636 "Retainer front bumper". The bloke reckoned they were actually an Astra part, but I have them all over the car, they fit perfectly and are simply a better design (so they probably are an Astra part actually :))

They cost me $1.24 each.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I strongly suggest replacing the two screw-type clips behind the number plate with the push-type clips used on the radiator shroud and a few other places (on the VZ anyway).

The part number is GM-92138636 "Retainer front bumper". The bloke reckoned they were actually an Astra part, but I have them all over the car, they fit perfectly and are simply a better design (so they probably are an Astra part actually :))

They cost me $1.24 each.

Danja

Are they the ones that have a large circular head with a small recess on either side, and the pin that pushes in is flat on both sides? If so, I agree - they are a very good clip compared to scrivets.