Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing green film off cluster background

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
Hey guys, im 95% complete my blue led changeover. All LEDs are in and looking sweet.

All i have left to do is remove the green film on the back of the aircon controls and the cluster as they are coming up of more an aqua then a deep blue..

SO HOW DO I DO IT, i tried sanding, it just scratched through and its ruined, so il practice any methods on this screwd background before i get another one

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
Sanding is the way to do it, but you need to use the finest grade sandpaper you can get your hands on. Spray it with window cleaner or metho first so it is quite wet, then very lightly sand until it is gone. It will take a while, but as long as you don't use too much pressure and keep it wet while sanding you should get there no problems.

ch1mp

Reaction score
If you have a valid reason for requiring my locati
Members Ride
VT S-Pack 3.8L Supercharged
u serious??? i've been trying to figure out a way to do this for so long! i'll be giving it a try on the weekend! i've got a whole roll of wet/dry sandpaper. you think that's fine enough or too fine?cheers!

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
u serious??? i've been trying to figure out a way to do this for so long! i'll be giving it a try on the weekend! i've got a whole roll of wet/dry sandpaper. you think that's fine enough or too fine?cheers!

Wet and dry sandpaper comes in different grits. I haven't done this but it will need to be very very fine.

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
Gday guys I tried this method and it does work although it is very easy to bugger it up (I did) so I ended up getting Sam from speed graphics (EBAY) to make me a new set of cluster and haav panels with the colours that i wanted which is all normal except where it was green to be blue this way you can use normal white globes or white leds and you dont get dark and light sections and can still see the needles and the red bits. the whole lot costs less than a 100 bucks and when the lights arent on it looks totally original

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
Went down to supercheap auto and got some 2000 grit sandpaper and worked away on it for a few hours and it came up perfect. Thanks for the help guys!

My led transformation is now complete. The only thing not perfect is hot spots all over the cluster, it looks terrible lol. Think il get a pro to do it

ch1mp

Reaction score
If you have a valid reason for requiring my locati
Members Ride
VT S-Pack 3.8L Supercharged
maybe i'll have to go n get some 2000 grit lol. well see what i thought was that since the cluster face dial stuff is now white, why not get some blue cover slips to put over the original light bulbs? coz then you'll have blue light that's evenly spread. you can get blue covers from autobarn for like $3 for a pack of 10

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
thats still doesnt work ch1mp n the colour actually turns out duller and not a true blue colour. best using leds theres so many benifits of using them over globes.

The cluster dial it dont really matter wat grit u use as u cant scratch through 2 the other side (aslong as its not somthing ridiculous lol) its the heater control dials that u gotta use 1600 grit wet n dry. 2000 is fine better safe than sorry if its ur 1st time doin it.

::Team420::

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Statesman 5L
I used very fine steel wool to do mine and little bit of water, just rub very lightly and it slowly takes it off.