Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing green film off cluster background

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by sxc_sound, Apr 13, 2010.

1. sxc_sound

sxc_sound Naturally stroked

Members Ride:
    VT V6 stroker
    Hey guys, im 95% complete my blue led changeover. All LEDs are in and looking sweet.

All i have left to do is remove the green film on the back of the aircon controls and the cluster as they are coming up of more an aqua then a deep blue..

SO HOW DO I DO IT, i tried sanding, it just scratched through and its ruined, so il practice any methods on this screwd background before i get another one

2. hwy747

hwy747 New Member

Members Ride:
    VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
    Sanding is the way to do it, but you need to use the finest grade sandpaper you can get your hands on. Spray it with window cleaner or metho first so it is quite wet, then very lightly sand until it is gone. It will take a while, but as long as you don't use too much pressure and keep it wet while sanding you should get there no problems.

3. ch1mp

ch1mp Member

If you have a valid reason for requiring my locati
    Members Ride:
    VT S-Pack 3.8L Supercharged
    u serious??? i've been trying to figure out a way to do this for so long! i'll be giving it a try on the weekend! i've got a whole roll of wet/dry sandpaper. you think that's fine enough or too fine?cheers!

4. 2DIE

2DIE ONEDOLLAHOLLA

Members Ride:
    97 Acclaim
    Wet and dry sandpaper comes in different grits. I haven't done this but it will need to be very very fine.

5. david dubbo

david dubbo Member

Members Ride:
    vx gen111 wagon
    Gday guys I tried this method and it does work although it is very easy to bugger it up (I did) so I ended up getting Sam from speed graphics (EBAY) to make me a new set of cluster and haav panels with the colours that i wanted which is all normal except where it was green to be blue this way you can use normal white globes or white leds and you dont get dark and light sections and can still see the needles and the red bits. the whole lot costs less than a 100 bucks and when the lights arent on it looks totally original

6. ch1mp

ch1mp Member

Members Ride:
    ye the wet/dry sandpaper that i have is the finest possible...i think 1200 or something like that

7. sxc_sound

Members Ride:
    VT V6 stroker
    Went down to supercheap auto and got some 2000 grit sandpaper and worked away on it for a few hours and it came up perfect. Thanks for the help guys!

My led transformation is now complete. The only thing not perfect is hot spots all over the cluster, it looks terrible lol. Think il get a pro to do it

8. ch1mp

ch1mp Member

Members Ride:
    maybe i'll have to go n get some 2000 grit lol. well see what i thought was that since the cluster face dial stuff is now white, why not get some blue cover slips to put over the original light bulbs? coz then you'll have blue light that's evenly spread. you can get blue covers from autobarn for like $3 for a pack of 10

9. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
    thats still doesnt work ch1mp n the colour actually turns out duller and not a true blue colour. best using leds theres so many benifits of using them over globes.

The cluster dial it dont really matter wat grit u use as u cant scratch through 2 the other side (aslong as its not somthing ridiculous lol) its the heater control dials that u gotta use 1600 grit wet n dry. 2000 is fine better safe than sorry if its ur 1st time doin it.

10. ::Team420::

::Team420:: New Member

Members Ride:
    VT S2 Club Kitted, VR SS, VL Executive
    I used very fine steel wool to do mine and little bit of water, just rub very lightly and it slowly takes it off.

11. ch1mp

ch1mp Member

Members Ride:

ok...well i thought it may have been worth a try.obviously you've tried lol. another thing i was considering but i don't know how safe it would be, was putting multiple LEDs, or a strip inside the cluster to make it look more even. By multiple LEDs i mean, have more than one connected to one socket, but angle them out so the light is spread.

12. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    Now ur thinkin :) this is 1 place u cant really get away with using a cheap option, n yes ive tried everything lol thats y now Greg n myself r now able 2 sell these as kits as we've found the best possible way 2 make these look exactly as if they just came out of factory

13. sxc_sound

Members Ride:
    VT V6 stroker
    you sell kits? like DIY kits?

14. CV6Z

CV6Z New Member

Members Ride:
    99 VT Commodore
    very keen and interested!!!

15. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    yes if ur handy with the soldering iron. but theres a few parts ect... in the VT-VX models that a kit cant b made 4 which will require either u do them urself or send them over like we discussed earlier man.

Guys if u want more info look in the ASR section of the sponsers threads.

16. sxc_sound

Members Ride:
    VT V6 stroker
    if when i bought a kit it came with a material list as to what extra i need it would be fine, otherize i half made kit is kinda useless to me lol. I am also very handy with a soldering iron :D

17. ch1mp

ch1mp Member

Members Ride:
    yes as am i lol. i've already done my window buttons...now i just have to repair all the other crap.i'll have a look through the forum...but all i need now are the leds...so...possibly a strip or two...but what about resistors? and can a strip be connected to any 1 of the sockets?...ahh i'll check out the ASR forum and see what i can find out. if not i'll be chatting to you wrx884 about sending what i need. cheers

18. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    Did you use resistors? I recently replaced some globes with LED's but they were really low voltage ones and lasted about half a millisecond. I was going to solder in some resistors to make it work but in the end I couldn't be bothered. It is something that I want to do though, the green looks too common. Want to go red....red is cool...

19. W84N01

W84N01 New Member

Members Ride:
    VN manual, VC 5L Auto, 80series GXL 4WD :)

Sam? I love Sam, he is brilliant!! Found him on Ebay years ago and asked him to make me my own designed dash cluster, which he did for my VN. I have a red dash cluster with HRT cut out of it, and it looks fantastic. i get compliments from everyone that has seen it, Very different and very professional...........can you please post up the link, as i have been trying to find him and haven't been able to do so anymore, and i'm keen as to get back in contact with him.....Cheers dude : )

20. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    Depends wat sort of strips u get whether thay r bare strips or pre made? bare strips yes u'll need resistors they r a must with LEDs otherwise as not an abba fan found out u'll fry them instanly coz they rnt designed 2 handle the full 12V. The resistors only allow a certain amount of Volts in depending on wat ur value of LEDs r (approx 2-4V) and resistors measured in ohms.