Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing green film off cluster background

ch1mp

Reaction score
If you have a valid reason for requiring my locati
Members Ride
VT S-Pack 3.8L Supercharged
thats still doesnt work ch1mp n the colour actually turns out duller and not a true blue colour. best using leds theres so many benifits of using them over globes.

The cluster dial it dont really matter wat grit u use as u cant scratch through 2 the other side (aslong as its not somthing ridiculous lol) its the heater control dials that u gotta use 1600 grit wet n dry. 2000 is fine better safe than sorry if its ur 1st time doin it.

ok...well i thought it may have been worth a try.obviously you've tried lol. another thing i was considering but i don't know how safe it would be, was putting multiple LEDs, or a strip inside the cluster to make it look more even. By multiple LEDs i mean, have more than one connected to one socket, but angle them out so the light is spread.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
ok...well i thought it may have been worth a try.obviously you've tried lol. another thing i was considering but i don't know how safe it would be, was putting multiple LEDs, or a strip inside the cluster to make it look more even. By multiple LEDs i mean, have more than one connected to one socket, but angle them out so the light is spread.

Now ur thinkin :) this is 1 place u cant really get away with using a cheap option, n yes ive tried everything lol thats y now Greg n myself r now able 2 sell these as kits as we've found the best possible way 2 make these look exactly as if they just came out of factory

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
you sell kits? like DIY kits?

yes if ur handy with the soldering iron. but theres a few parts ect... in the VT-VX models that a kit cant b made 4 which will require either u do them urself or send them over like we discussed earlier man.

Guys if u want more info look in the ASR section of the sponsers threads.

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
if when i bought a kit it came with a material list as to what extra i need it would be fine, otherize i half made kit is kinda useless to me lol. I am also very handy with a soldering iron :D

ch1mp

Reaction score
If you have a valid reason for requiring my locati
Members Ride
VT S-Pack 3.8L Supercharged
yes as am i lol. i've already done my window buttons...now i just have to repair all the other crap.i'll have a look through the forum...but all i need now are the leds...so...possibly a strip or two...but what about resistors? and can a strip be connected to any 1 of the sockets?...ahh i'll check out the ASR forum and see what i can find out. if not i'll be chatting to you wrx884 about sending what i need. cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Did you use resistors? I recently replaced some globes with LED's but they were really low voltage ones and lasted about half a millisecond. I was going to solder in some resistors to make it work but in the end I couldn't be bothered. It is something that I want to do though, the green looks too common. Want to go red....red is cool...

W84N01

Reaction score
Website
www.southwestcommodoreconnection.com
Members Ride
VN manual, VC 5L Auto, 80series GXL 4WD :)
Gday guys I tried this method and it does work although it is very easy to bugger it up (I did) so I ended up getting Sam from speed graphics (EBAY) to make me a new set of cluster and haav panels with the colours that i wanted which is all normal except where it was green to be blue this way you can use normal white globes or white leds and you dont get dark and light sections and can still see the needles and the red bits. the whole lot costs less than a 100 bucks and when the lights arent on it looks totally original

Sam? I love Sam, he is brilliant!! Found him on Ebay years ago and asked him to make me my own designed dash cluster, which he did for my VN. I have a red dash cluster with HRT cut out of it, and it looks fantastic. i get compliments from everyone that has seen it, Very different and very professional...........can you please post up the link, as i have been trying to find him and haven't been able to do so anymore, and i'm keen as to get back in contact with him.....Cheers dude : )

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
yes as am i lol. i've already done my window buttons...now i just have to repair all the other crap.i'll have a look through the forum...but all i need now are the leds...so...possibly a strip or two...but what about resistors? and can a strip be connected to any 1 of the sockets?...ahh i'll check out the ASR forum and see what i can find out. if not i'll be chatting to you wrx884 about sending what i need. cheers

Depends wat sort of strips u get whether thay r bare strips or pre made? bare strips yes u'll need resistors they r a must with LEDs otherwise as not an abba fan found out u'll fry them instanly coz they rnt designed 2 handle the full 12V. The resistors only allow a certain amount of Volts in depending on wat ur value of LEDs r (approx 2-4V) and resistors measured in ohms.