Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing guard liner

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Sandpaper works a treat. Removed everything I could reach. Will do the rest when the wheels are off...
At least I don't need to replace the whole thing !

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What you talking about Willis? Carpet guard liners? What happens when you run over a muddy puddle?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
What you talking about Willis? Carpet guard liners? What happens when you run over a muddy puddle?

The Euros have had these type of liners for years to help deaden the sound of tyre/road noise in the cabin.

The only thing I've always thought is strange is the Euros have it on the rear where the wheels are under the back seat but not in the front where the wheels are adjacent to the engine bay.

The Commodore is the opposite and has them at the front and the material used in the Euros is much thicker than the material used for the Commodores.

Whenever I buy a new car that has this type of material as an inner guard liner, the first thing I do is remove the wheels, make sure the liner is clean and if necessary use a mild carpet cleaner, let it dry then add 3 coats of Scotch Guard allowing time for each coat to dry.

It takes a day or so to do but it's an easy job.

I find after Scotch Guarding them most of the road dirt and grim just hoses off.

While the wheels are off I also take the time to clean the rims and add a couple of coats of ceramic protection to also make them easier to clean.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I dunno about carpet. But they are certainly furry.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Are you Ted Bullpitt re-incarnated ? ;) Take it on dirt road, it will wear off. Geez, I cop flack for taking my wheels off and cleaning the inner side.
Not the Commodore! I've just ironed the mudflaps and polished the dipstick.:D:p

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yeah...some weird carpety looking ****. Definitely not plastic...
Front and rear are the same material

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191224-155327_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191224-155327_Gallery.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 228