Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing HVAC

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Hi Guys,

I'm in the middle of removing the instrument pad assembly to get at the HVAC to replace the heater core.

All the info I've been able to find on here about removing the instrument pad assembly relates to the VT or VX.

I had expected to be able to remove the instrument pad assembly without needing to remove the steering wheel. The pictures in the thread here https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/heater-core-replacement-pics.51997/#post-524387 shows the steering wheel still fitted.

I cannot see how you get the pad assembly over the steering wheel in the VY. Is there something I'm missing?

If I have to take the steering wheel off it looks like I need a special tool to remove the airbag. Can I make one of these or is there another tool I can use to release the clips?

Thanks for your help.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Have you tried removing the steering column bolts from the dashboard (above the pedals)? The steering column should hinge on the solumn universal joint and drop into your lap.
The airbag comes off really easily. Just as the post says, all you need is a flat blade screwdriver and some levering to unclip the tabs.
Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to each side and you can see the release hole above the ignition plastic surround. No need to remove any plastics from the steering column to do this (although it may make it easier for your job ahead).

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Dropping the steering wheel down doesn't help.

Thanks for the tips on removing the airbag.