Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing ignition barrel from vn

NOT.BT1

Bogan pride
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VN exec project vh in the shed
hey guys i have been having a bit of trouble lately my ignition barrel is sticking when i try to start it i have to jiggle the key to get it to turn i figure its gotta be the barrel so thought ill just swap it for the one in my spare vn but when i tryed i cant for the life of me figure out how it is removed can anyone shed some light on this for me?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
turn the key to accessories or ignition (cant remember which one), then with a small pin or nail.etc insert it into the small hole on the top of the barrel housing, then simply slide the barrel out.

before you swap barrels have a look at your key. if the 'cut' is worn on an angle then a new key may fix your problem. no doubt the wafers in the barrel will be worn also but I had the same sticking problem and just got another key cut and its been working perfectly for a few months now.

NOT.BT1

Bogan pride
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
thanks azzfox i might try the new key idea mine is farely worn even if it doesnt work least ill have a new key for my door locks anyway

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
i just sprayed wd 40 in mine works like a dream now

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
for the record, you turn it to accessories.

and when you put the new barrel in, you gotta push down the steering lock inside the barrel housing. you'll see it down towards the bottom of where the ignition barrel sits.
you push it down towards the floor, and it'll click and stay down, and then the barrel will slide in. sometimes you gotta file some material off from the new barrel so it will fit.

NOT.BT1

Bogan pride
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
thanks for the input guys ive now got the barrel out of my spare car incase the new key idea doesnt work figure ill try it first to make sure that way i wont have different keys for my locks and ignition

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
while ya got the barrel out take it to a lock smith they can code it to use you original key