Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing ignition barrel from vn

Shawnus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Commodore Ute
for the record, you turn it to accessories.

and when you put the new barrel in, you gotta push down the steering lock inside the barrel housing. you'll see it down towards the bottom of where the ignition barrel sits.
you push it down towards the floor, and it'll click and stay down, and then the barrel will slide in. sometimes you gotta file some material off from the new barrel so it will fit.
I tried pushing it down but it doesn't stay down. Does that mean there's something wrong with the lock? And is there a way to keep it down. It's the only thing stopping my new one from going in.

Cruising man

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 V6 VP Executive
for the record, you turn it to accessories.

and when you put the new barrel in, you gotta push down the steering lock inside the barrel housing. you'll see it down towards the bottom of where the ignition barrel sits.
you push it down towards the floor, and it'll click and stay down, and then the barrel will slide in. sometimes you gotta file some material off from the new barrel so it will fit.
hey there man. i did all you said but unfortunately the ignition lock won't stay down. I can't push the barrel in because of this. (the steering lock is easily pushed out of the way. Could my ignition lock be worn thereby preventing it to stay outta the way of the barrel. Any ideas how else to push the barrel lock down so it stays down till barrel clicks into place? (remove steering wheel??) Cheers cobber.

Cruising man

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 V6 VP Executive
hey there man. i did all you said but unfortunately the ignition lock won't stay down. I can't push the barrel in because of this. (the steering lock is easily pushed out of the way. Could my ignition lock be worn thereby preventing it to stay outta the way of the barrel. Any ideas how else to push the barrel lock down so it stays down till barrel clicks into place? (remove steering wheel??) Cheers cobber.
My apologies never replied to you but i'm new to this type of messaging. My son fitted my new barrel and as he pushed it in he used a stong plastic cable tie strip which held the pin down. As the barrel reached it's destination he pulled out the plastic tie strip and bingo...all fixed. Apart from my earlier apology maybe if a person reads this and is having the same trouble a plastic cable tie strip may well save the day for them. No drilling, no nothing and he fitted it under twenty seconds. Thank god for sons. lol Cheers.