Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing interior roof trim?

ncielens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
Has anyone removed/replaced the interior roof trim (including interior plastic A/B/C pillars), sun visors and handles from their VZ?

I am toying with the idea of swapping mine for a black interior and wondering how hard it might be.

Yes, I am trying to create the blackest SV6 I can. I have already swapped virtually all the dash trim. Also considering finding some black seats (front and rear) and black door trims. Even considering getting carpet replaced in black. Boring you may say! But very very cool :cool: (or hot if I leave it in the sun :devil: )

ncielens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
that will look pretty sweet if you go ahead with it. post up some pics when its done mate :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm hoping so. I originally got the idea from a Subaru Liberty that STI did last year, the interior was completely black and looked evil :devil: . Even just changing some of the dash trim I can see it coming together already. I was disappointed to see I could not get the steering wheel spokes in black, so have decided to allow a little satin chrome in (handbreak & auto shift lever).

The hardest thing is traking down these part @ wreckers, so far I have had to source everything from the dealers. The guys @ Barry Bourke Berwick have been helpful so far.

Apart from the models with black leather trim, does anyone know if there were any VZ's that had black for the door trim & seats?

Sorry, for all the questions. I have been a WRX driver for years & am relatively new to Commodores. Discovering the lend themselves well to modding with lots of parts available in Aus :yeah: .

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I have recently done mine, using black Clubsport interior. Very happy and it was so simple to do. The hardest part for me was rewiring for the rear door lights to ensure they work properly with the auto/manual switch modes, plus replace the centre light module with the front light/sunglass holder.

From memory....

Start with removing the rear seat back rests, grip handles (2 screws each)and the rear centre trim (unclips, pullin straight down).

Remove the b-pillar trim, bottom half unclips and the top has 1 top screw under a cap and 2 screws revealed at the bottom. If you are replacing them you need to undo the seat belt at the base anchor bolt. Make sure you torque it to spec when putting it back in place.

The strips can now be removed that hide the edges of the roof lining. There is a plastic screw that was hidden behind the rear seat backrest. Prise it out (it won't unscew). From memory there are no more scews after removing the handles, so just gently unclip each length. Similar to the b-pillar trim, if you are removing the trim completely, you need to unbolt the base anchor of the rear seat belts to feed it through the trim.

Once all the plastic trim is out, unscrew the interior light (centre or front as applicable), unplug and remove. The roof lining can then slowly be lowered by lifting it out of the small slots that it rests in. You can then take it out of the car, via the rear door (bring the front seats forward to give yourself more room.

All up the job can be done in 15-20 minutes.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.:thumbsup:

ncielens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
I have recently done mine, using black Clubsport interior. Very happy and it was so simple to do. The hardest part for me was rewiring for the rear door lights to ensure they work properly with the auto/manual switch modes, plus replace the centre light module with the front light/sunglass holder.

From memory....

Start with removing the rear seat back rests, grip handles (2 screws each)and the rear centre trim (unclips, pullin straight down).

Remove the b-pillar trim, bottom half unclips and the top has 1 top screw under a cap and 2 screws revealed at the bottom. If you are replacing them you need to undo the seat belt at the base anchor bolt. Make sure you torque it to spec when putting it back in place.

The strips can now be removed that hide the edges of the roof lining. There is a plastic screw that was hidden behind the rear seat backrest. Prise it out (it won't unscew). From memory there are no more scews after removing the handles, so just gently unclip each length. Similar to the b-pillar trim, if you are removing the trim completely, you need to unbolt the base anchor of the rear seat belts to feed it through the trim.

Once all the plastic trim is out, unscrew the interior light (centre or front as applicable), unplug and remove. The roof lining can then slowly be lowered by lifting it out of the small slots that it rests in. You can then take it out of the car, via the rear door (bring the front seats forward to give yourself more room.

All up the job can be done in 15-20 minutes.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.:thumbsup:

Sweet, thanks for that (it doesn't sound too hard, I'm sure I can stuff it up though :ranting: ). Now all I have to do is find a car that no longer needs it's black interior :yeah: .