Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing internal hex lock nuts

Cluckfuster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Any ideas on how to get internal hex lock nuts off as I’ve lost my key. Holden dealershipa cannot replace key. Has anyone used a spring loaded pin socket to do this? Another option is to weld a nut onto them but worried about splatter on rims

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Go buy a similar sized torx bit, hammer it in and remove nut. Discard both bits.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Go to your local tyre store they may have a spare key that will fit and be able 3 remove them or have removal tools there

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Ok find an old socket that will just about go over the top and hit it on with a hammer and use a breaker bar to undo it

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Socket over the nut works a treat....

Some tyre stores even have lock nut removal sockets....They are similar to an easy out, but are a like a socket....They have been the best tool I have used to remove lock nuts, for ease of removal.

Little hint when you buy new locknuts...Take note of brand and the number stamped on the locknut key...That way if it ever gets lost, you can buy a replacement easily :)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Have you got a picture? There is several different types and some require different attacks. The worst are the McGards which are OE HSV they need to be welded.