Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing Rear Rotors - VS Statesman

quiksilv3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII L67 Statesman
Well I needed to get my rear rotors machined the other day, so I thought I'd throw up a basic DIY on removing them to take them in to get machined. Saves a big lump of cash by doing it this way ($22 per rotor for machining, compared to $200+).

Tools needed:
Trolley Jack
Axle Stands
Wheel Brace
15mm Spanner
17mm Spanner
18/19mm Spanner
Zip Ties
G-clamp/piston tool

Step 1.
Park car on an even surface and slightly undo wheel nuts for the rear wheels.

Step 2.
Jack the rear of the car up (I used a trolley jack under the diff) and place axle stands under each side for extra support. Also, go inside the cabin and release the handbrake (important for later).
Brakes027.jpg

Brakes023.jpg

Step 3.
Remove wheels. Undo nuts in a diagonal pattern and put wheels somewhere out of the way.
Brakes001.jpg

Step 4.
Removing the caliper. If you look to the inside of the caliper you will see two bolts holding it in place. A 15mm Spanner and a 17mm spanner were used here - the 15mm for the most inside, and the 17mm to hold the inside nut in place. I removed the bottom bolt first, then the top.
Brakes002.jpg

Brakes003.jpg

Brakes004.jpg

Brakes005.jpg

Brakes006.jpg

This is what it will look like now
Brakes007.jpg

Step 5.
The caliper is now completely loose - with the only thing holding it to the car being the brake line. Making sure not to pull or kink the line, zip tie the caliper to part of the suspension so it is not hanging by the brake line (I used the coil). Also, remove the brake pads and place them somewhere safe.
Brakes008.jpg

Brakes009.jpg

Brakes010.jpg

Brakes012.jpg

Step 6.
Next part to remove from the hub is the anchor plate (the part that holds the caliper in place). THis was either an 18 or 19mm bolt so grab the 18 or 19mm spanner and undo the two bolts from here (can't remember which one it was, was a while ago now). Once removed, place the anchor plate somewhere safe.
Brakes011.jpg

Brakes013.jpg

Brakes014.jpg

Brakes015.jpg

Brakes016.jpg

Step 7.
Now the only part left on the hub is the rotor itself. Giving it a slight pull will loosen it and it will slide off the wheel studs. One side was a bit harder than the other, but some moderate force got it off. This is where taking the handbrake off is important - as the rotor will be near impossible to remove with the handbrake locked on.
Brakes018.jpg

Brakes020.jpg

Brakes021.jpg

Brakes022.jpg

Step 8.
Reassembly is the same in reverse order. Refer to other guides to installing brake pads to get the piston in and what not ((Here).

My wheel brace - complete with spark plug socket to fit into the holes for the wheel nuts, and lock nut bit.
Brakes036.jpg

Dodgy uneven sticker :ph34r:
Brakes029.jpg

Beer also helps
Tooheys%20Extra%20Dry%20345%20ml.jpg

I'm no expert so there is probably some bits that I have missed. Feel free to add anything if you see fit.

big m

FIGJAM
Reaction score
Members Ride
vslll v6 2000 olympic series ute, 1997 pajero 3.5l
hey, good post but i am having trouble with mine ive got the callipers off no worrys but the roter wont come off and someone said there is some little star nut or something found that and i have turned t both ways as much as t would go and tried pulling it off but still no luck any tips

cheers

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
block of wood, big f*ckin hammer hit the block of wodd into the rotor and keep turning the disc so it hits in a different spot and it works its way off once the handbrake has been slackened off

big m

FIGJAM
Reaction score
Members Ride
vslll v6 2000 olympic series ute, 1997 pajero 3.5l
cheers thanks for that peanuts will give t a go:thumbsup:

J Ludwik

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore 'Esteem'
I've taken off everything and have just the rotor left but cannot for the life of me remove it either by pulling or hammering it till I go mad. Has anybody else had this problem?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
is the handbrake off? if not disengage it

if its off, then
block of wood, big f*ckin hammer hit the block of wodd into the rotor and keep turning the disc so it hits in a different spot and it works its way off once the handbrake has been slackened off