Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing rear springs on a vt without spring compressor?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Hey all, i just had a thoight, is it possible to remove the rear springs on a vt without spring compressors?

So for example, raising the vehicle on jack stands and take off wheel, then place the jack just under the rear shock arm, control arm, whatever its called just enough to lightly take the tension then remove the bolt and lower the jack slowly?

I live in the country and don't want to have to pay $60 for a spring compressor i'll use once

Would this method work?

Cheers, Darcy

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Undo your swaybar link as well and the control arm should drop down far enough to pull your spring out

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
sorry swaybar link? sorry i'm stupid but where is that located?

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
It's a little futher in towards the diff centre. It's a small metal rod with a rubber bush and I think 13mm bolt. If the control arm doesn't drop down you may need to rotate the hub till the drive shaft is in a position to let it drop down. I hope this helps you out

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
ahh, haha there you go i thought they only had sway bars on the front. And so do you think it will work putting a jack under the diff or shock area to take the tension of the spring?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Are they the stock springs? Probably not mate. If you want to be really dodgy you could gradually tension the spring with cable ties and garden twine etc etc. Drop the bottom shock bolt, take the handbrake off and see how you go. I highly doubt it though.

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
Firstly you need two people to do this.
Jack up the car high enough so that the rear wheels have about 20cm clearance of the floor.
Hand brake needs to be released so make sure your on a flat surface and that the car is on car stands as well as the jack.
All you need to remove is the bottom bolt that holds your shock. No need to remove tyre but do so if need be.
Now here you need the person that weighs the most to climb up on top of the tyre and take big jumps up and down while the other person is under the car grabbing the spring and pulling hard at it from the top or bottom of the spring during the jumps. It will eventually click out of the bump stops.

It will take several attempts but thats how Iv done it :)

There may be other ways to do it so have a good read thru the threads.

This isn't the safest way to do it so please do be carful and think ahead and i am not liable for any damage caused this is only a suggestion of help.

Hope Iv helped

Cheers
Dave.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
yer stock springs :/ got airbags today to go in, Someone said you can do it with a jack under the spring and slowly lower it, but this is why i asked haha thanks though, i'll see what a few others say ( if anyone else reply's) just to get another opinion

But thanks heaps

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
ffs - just undo the shock, get a tire lever/bar and push the swing arm down a tad and hold it there with your leg whilst you remove the spring. WTF do people make jobs harder than they need be???

Reaper

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
:S sorry mate i've never done this before so was just asking around, Thankyou, and so undoing the shock you mean at the top yes? or bottom bolt? ( unless it is too rusted/stiff to budge)