Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing Rear Springs

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
Hey guys..I'm wanting to change my rear springs to Pedders Touring springs.. i currently have Sports Ryder's in there.. just wanting to know a step by step way on how to remove the rear springs.. i have a fair idea but don't want to stuff anything up..lol...

any help would be appreciated.. thanks...

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
jack the back end of the car up, put stands on the chasis, remove ur wheels, get urself some spring compressors, and compress the springs til u can pull them out, reverse this to install ur new springs.

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
better to just to pull out the shock absorber bolt and the diff will drop a little bit making it easier. thats the way ive done every time ive had to do it. i have shortened shocks aswell so once i pull the shock absorber bolt out i just lift the spring out from the top and pull it out. very easy to do.

George

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
VN Lukey, do one side at a time, jack the rear up, and of course use a jack stand or similar, if you have one. Remove your wheel, and then you will have a bolt, at the bottom of your lower control arm, you will need to undo this. Once this is undone, you will be able to pull your spring out. When you take it out, you will have a rubber insulator at both the top and bottom of your spring. Remember which is which, because they are different. Slot your new spring in with its insulators, then push the control arm back up, and re-do the bolt back up,wheel back on, drop the car down. Simple as...Spring compressors are only nessacary for the front springs...

Last edited:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
You can use spring compressors at the back, if you have good easy ones - can be as little effort as dropping the trailing arm.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
OFcourse you can use spring comressors, but i was just assuming he didnt have any, and wanted to make sure that he knew he didnt have to head out and buy some, in order to remove his rear springs..:thumbsup:

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
thanks guys.. how much would spring compressors cost?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
like $30ish at auto barn and so on

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
is there easy to use ones...lol.. if that exists...lol

actually i just found out one of my mates springs popped out of the compressor and went through his side rear window...LOL... lucky it wasnt his dads porche which was parked right next to him... hahah...

just trying to avoid something like that... i dont mind speding the extra just want it to be easy and pretty much guaranteed its not going to do that... :)

thanks ALOT guys.. your help it much appreciated...