Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Removing/Replacing Door actuator and mechanism

Mutabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute LS1 Man
Great tutorial. Cheers mate.

Took me about 20 mins all up. Fantastic.

ozbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Failed door actuator impossible to fix.

An update to the question below - no, it has not been fixed!
I have spoken to various mechanics, panel beaters, auto electricians and even Holden, and it would seem that this is a problem that is impossible to rectify.
So if you have come across this thread because you have this very problem, just accept it. A bit of advice though, if you suspect an actuator may be on the way out, change it, don't wait until it is completely dead!

I have an issue with the rear door on my VZ - it is permanently locked. I can find truckloads of information on changing out the actuator but all assume the door is open. As far as I can tell I can't open the door until I remove the actuator, but the actuator can't be removed without the door being open!
I have seen plenty of threads asking how to fix this, but I have not been able to find a suitable response.
I do not mind hacking open the door card (I have a spare), but I don't know how to proceed once I have done so.
I am starting to think the solution would be a gas axe from the outside!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ozbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Another update on my VZ rear door actuator problem. Finally, after 2 years (maybe more), I have managed to open the rear door on my Commodore. It then took me about half an hour to fix. So 2 years 30 minutes all up to fix a door lock!

nickt2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon
How did you do this?

How did you manage this?
Another update on my VZ rear door actuator problem. Finally, after 2 years (maybe more), I have managed to open the rear door on my Commodore. It then took me about half an hour to fix. So 2 years 30 minutes all up to fix a door lock!

godders

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore Wagon (family car)

How did you unlock the locked door to replace the actuator?

Gerely

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
Hi,
I do have the same problem. May I know, how did you manage to open the door with your door actuator permanently locked? Your help will be appreciated.. Thanks mate..

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'll see if I can still find the old photos. Unfortunately the crowd i used to host photos on has since gone under.

Nigela

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive sw
I'll see if I can still find the old photos. Unfortunately the crowd i used to host photos on has since gone under.
I have same problem too. Locked back passenger door. How did you remove the interior trim etc from the locked door?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Get a locksmith to open the door. Wouldn't even bother to try removing it with it closed.