Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Removing/Replacing Door actuator and mechanism

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Some with VY/VZ's will be familiar with problems with locking the car, often being caused by the actuator.

1. Disconnect battery

2. Remove Door trim and peel back the plastic guard to allow access to the rear half of the door. https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/removing-vy-vz-door-trim.70606
SpjiReG.jpg

3. Disconnect the clip on the link for the interior handle, then remove the link from the door.
mrJnnQ3.jpg
4. Disconnect the clip on the link for the exterior handle, the link should now just pull up and out so it will be out of the way.
GxIWjFe.jpg

5. Loosen the 3 screws below the lock. They are Torx screws, but you can get away with using a close sized hex if you're like me and don't have any torx bits. Then unplug the actuator from the loom in the bottom corner of the door.
gThyX0U.jpg

6. Remove the 3 screws fully and lower the assembly out of the door.
A bit of CRC contact cleaner wouldn't go astray in the connections at this point whilst the assembly is out.

For Re-assembly just do it in reverse.

Hope this helps someone

Last edited:

Madmark73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Did you find the problem was the drivers door would unlock but the others wouldn't? Mine is doing this on and off now

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yep, I've got a ute so it was only the passenger side. Most of the time with people its the actuator, but mine turned out to be the actual mechanism. If its just the actuator spraying some contact cleaner into it may fix it. Otherwise I got a used one off ebay for $29 and works perfectly.

Harpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
VZ Door actuator

Some with VY/VZ's will be familiar with problems with locking the car, often being caused by the actuator.

Hope this helps someone

Sure helped me! first time on a page like this but thank you, your step by step is simple, clear and very helpful....without it I know something would have gotten busted!!

Now I just have to put it all together again!

Thanks heaps

Harpy

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
No worries mate, glad its helped someone:)

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
if you open the actulator up you may find its just the clog that's snapped and it cost $8 off ebay :) - don't know about holdens but this happens ALOT on the ford AU-BA models

Seeber

Seeber
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore
Hey the rear door lock of my vy commodore is playing up
ive had a look at the mechanism and all the electronics work and im pretty sure the problem is something to do with this not being contected to anything, any ideas on how to fix it or parts i will need to fix it.
photo_zps18c8d4af.jpg.html

ozbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I have an issue with the rear door on my VZ - it is permanently locked. I can find truckloads of information on changing out the actuator but all assume the door is open. As far as I can tell I can't open the door until I remove the actuator, but the actuator can't be removed without the door being open!
I have seen plenty of threads asking how to fix this, but I have not been able to find a suitable response.
I do not mind hacking open the door card (I have a spare), but I don't know how to proceed once I have done so.
I am starting to think the solution would be a gas axe from the outside!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Unlock the the car, if the button does not pop up try pulling it up and go from there.