Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Removing/Replacing Door actuator and mechanism

epoxpro

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ R8 Z Series
@Sandman
Any chance you can find the images in you DIY actuator replacement. I have a VZ Clubbie and the drivers door would not unlock today. I can use the key normally but I think the actuator is cactus. Unless there’s any other suggestion.

Cheers.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Hey mate, have a look now. Hopefully the photos make sense. Its all pretty straight forward once you pull the trim off and can see it.

Oldman82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Executive wagon
I have an issue with the rear door on my VZ - it is permanently locked. I can find truckloads of information on changing out the actuator but all assume the door is open. As far as I can tell I can't open the door until I remove the actuator, but the actuator can't be removed without the door being open!
I have seen plenty of threads asking how to fix this, but I have not been able to find a suitable response.
I do not mind hacking open the door card (I have a spare), but I don't know how to proceed once I have done so.
I am starting to think the solution would be a gas axe from the outside!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same problem with both rear doors. Can you please tell me how you repaired the problem. It has been 5 years since you posted so hopefully you will see this

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have a link to the factory manual if that will make it easier?

Remove the door trim, undo the three torx screws on the outer part of the door. Disconnecting the wiring plug is a bit tough sometimes, as is pushing it back on.

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 vt commodore
Some with VY/VZ's will be familiar with problems with locking the car, often being caused by the actuator.

1. Disconnect battery

2. Remove Door trim and peel back the plastic guard to allow access to the rear half of the door. https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/removing-vy-vz-door-trim.70606
SpjiReG.jpg

3. Disconnect the clip on the link for the interior handle, then remove the link from the door.
mrJnnQ3.jpg
4. Disconnect the clip on the link for the exterior handle, the link should now just pull up and out so it will be out of the way.
GxIWjFe.jpg

5. Loosen the 3 screws below the lock. They are Torx screws, but you can get away with using a close sized hex if you're like me and don't have any torx bits. Then unplug the actuator from the loom in the bottom corner of the door.
gThyX0U.jpg

6. Remove the 3 screws fully and lower the assembly out of the door.
A bit of CRC contact cleaner wouldn't go astray in the connections at this point whilst the assembly is out.

For Re-assembly just do it in reverse.

Hope this helps someone

How bout when it doesn’t open from the inside but everything else works fine I’ve tried 3 different actuators and nothing works it still won’t open from the inside

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If it doesn't work from the inside check the linkage from the inside handle to the actuator.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
if the above checks out

Remove the assembly and clean it, then relube all moving parts with silicone paste or lithium grease. Silicone paste will be best. Supercheap Auto for $6.

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 vt commodore
If it doesn't work from the inside check the linkage from the inside handle to the actuator.

I’ve tried everything there is to try I put it back in the car I took it out of.and it works fine but in my car it doesn’t and I can’t fines anything about my problem anywhere

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you bumped the catch in the door? Use a large screwdriver to release it.

do you have the workshop manual on hand?