Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing/replacing shot catalytic converters vy cats

Kenty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Berlina SII
Hi all,

I'll give you the back ground...

The cats on my 04 berlina have **** themselves all over the highway. I noticed a knock the day prior, but didn't have a chance to look. Needed to tow my trailer, 10 mins into journey experienced a serious power drop, tried to push through it to get to the emergency stopping bay, heavier on the accelerator, then heard a pop followed by what can only be described as ricochet (gun fight at the ok Corral style). I think the guy driving beside me thought he had stumbled into a drive by!! What I quickly realised was that it was the guts of my cat shooting into my trailer....immediately regained power and there is certainly nothing knocking now. However without the cats it smells terrible (plus I know it's illegal not to have functioning cats) so I've sourced replacements which I pick up Friday. This leads me to my question....

I want to give this a go myself... How hard is it to remove my cats? Are they just bolted on or is there going to be a pesky weld to deal with? Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Converters are flanged at both ends so removal and replacement is pretty straightforward with no welding involved. Make sure you have a set of replacement gaskets and and penetrating oil and be prepared for stubborn nuts.

Kenty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Berlina SII
Converters are flanged at both ends so removal and replacement is pretty straightforward with no welding involved. Make sure you have a set of replacement gaskets and and penetrating oil and be prepared for stubborn nuts.

Good advice! Thanks mate.
Are they tricky to access? I haven't jacked it up for a proper look yet, but at a quick glance the cats look like they turn up towards the manifold rather than running flat under the chassis?

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
One thing i've learnt with exhausts are that they are never as easy as they appear. Always one stubborn bolt that will annoy you to no end. The jacks rarely give you sufficient clearance and the exhaust mounts allow for exhaust movement resulting in leverage being a pain in the ass. Say goodbye to your knuckles and buy some good beer

Kenty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Berlina SII
One thing i've learnt with exhausts are that they are never as easy as they appear. Always one stubborn bolt that will annoy you to no end. The jacks rarely give you sufficient clearance and the exhaust mounts allow for exhaust movement resulting in leverage being a pain in the ass. Say goodbye to your knuckles and buy some good beer

Good to note, I'll be putting it on stands, but that's about as good as I can do. (beer is always at the ready)
My knuckles are still raw after the last two jobs I did last week;
1. Replacing all the rotors (made easier due to some good advice on here). Damn those bolts were tuff!
2. Fitting a 2.1 ton hayman Reece towbar (with the brackets in the spare wheel well)....completely underestimated this job...what a pain in the arse! If anyone attempts this I'd recommend you give yourself lots of time...you need to have your game face on!

It's funny, no matter how **** the job, it's always a great feeling of accomplishment when it's done!
Especially when your wife has been popping her head in asking;

"are you sure you should be doing that?"
"do you know what your doing?"
"is it taking longer than you expected?"

Last weekend was classic..after I finished I went inside...she asked how I was going, my reply:
Done! What's for lunch?

Needless to say I made my own lunch and we had takeout for dinner...

sleepinvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99" vt berlina
hahahaha, love it guys, funny stuff......yeah, pretty straight forward job, just a pain in the rear....

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
My wife got quoted $2600 to fix her car ($3000 worth of 20yo Celica) Problem was a burst water line up in behind exhaust maniflod. Quoted $200 for the part (steel waterpipe) $400 labour and "head gasket most likely gone - that's another $2k".

Part they quoted priced at $80 from toyota, but turns out the steel pipe was fine, the hose that connects to it had split. $5 hose, 4hrs labour, car fixed and head gasket fine. The whole time I had the wife popping her head in, suggesting we get the car towed away etcetc. It was so satisfying to complete the job - and a minor service on the car while I was at it, all for under $100.

So, Kenty, my point is I totally agree with you - the satisfaction of doing it yourself is priceless - especially in the face of naysayers! Calaber and the rest of the guys around here are great at giving the tips, the rest is up to you.

That said - an exhaust place would charge very little to do a coupla bolts - the oxy comes in handy on those stubborn bolts.

Good luck :)

Kenty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Berlina SII
Hi Fletch, you are probably right re: the exhaust place charging little for the bolts, but my local guys quoted me $800 per cat...and because of that (and also being a stubborn bastard) they won't be getting a cent from me. I'm a new member, but have utilized this site for a while now, I agree, there are some good blokes on here doing a valuable service, good sense of community. Hopefully in time I'll be able to share some leanings too.

Right about the naysayers too...but seriously...I don't think anything is as satisfying as rubbing it in your wife's nose ;)

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Get a quote from another exhaust place ? Let 'em know it's fit only, should be an hourly rate + gaskets?

Nothing against your wife's nose, but there must be better places to rub it ?:rofl2:

Kenty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Berlina SII
Get a quote from another exhaust place ? Let 'em know it's fit only, should be an hourly rate + gaskets?

Nothing against your wife's nose, but there must be better places to rub it ?:rofl2:

You obviously haven't been married as long as me...