Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing spoiler?

zoe_commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
hey wondering how i would go about removing my rear spoiler? and how will i plug up the holes left from it?
cheers!

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
Easiest way is to find a bootlid the same color without a spoiler. Or you could take the spoiler off and plug the holes with rubber grommets from super cheap or repco or something until you can get the holes welded and the boot resprayed

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
If it's a genuine spoiler then the holes will be above the water channel meaning the water that will go through them won't leak into your boot anyway. Find some boy racer with the same colour boot that wants a wing he'll probably trade you his boot plus cash for your boot.

Monro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 vt commodore
Doesn't matter where the holes are they go through 2 layers of metal so they may be over the channel but the water goes between and down inside the boot itself

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
best thing to do is to go have a look at the wreckers, they always have lots of vt's and vx's to take parts from. you could plug the holes with the rubber inserts as mentioned if you don't mind them. the only problem is that if your spoiler has the brakelight built in and you remove it your car will be unroadworthy as you need three brake lights and if your car gets rear ended your insurance may not cover you.
im pretty sure you could get a brakelight for your rear window from a model like an executive or something but i am unsure of the cost.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
best thing to do is to go have a look at the wreckers, they always have lots of vt's and vx's to take parts from. you could plug the holes with the rubber inserts as mentioned if you don't mind them. the only problem is that if your spoiler has the brakelight built in and you remove it your car will be unroadworthy as you need three brake lights and if your car gets rear ended your insurance may not cover you.
im pretty sure you could get a brakelight for your rear window from a model like an executive or something but i am unsure of the cost.

Also if you had an original factory spoiler with the built in brake light then the rear window will have a blacked out area where normally a third brake light
would be located on a spoiler-less car, therefore you have to install the third brake light up higher on the rear window as it wont shine through the blacked out bit
or you replace the rear window with one thats not blacked out. Thats what stopping me removing my spoiler as tooo much hassle.

zoe_commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
thanks, everyone.
its dark blue but my spoiler paint is chipping and has sun damage thats why i wanted to take it off
but does sound like to much of a hassle with the brake lights

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
Swap the boot lid for one that doesn't have a spoiler. $100.