Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing stock HU???

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
Someone told me the stock head units in vr/vs are a bastard to remove cos there is a screw in the back of them holding them in or something along those lines? Is this right or were they bulls#$%ing me?

rian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6 // Project Rx7 Turbo // 323
Easiest way is to remove the back window and tow it out with another car.

Ok seriously they are a bastard to remove. Some models do have a little security screw at the back which takes about 30mins to remove after a few beers.

Good luck!

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
Have a read of this thread.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=32298
No screws holding at the back (from the ones I have done). The most complicated part is removing the interior trim afaik.

Yeah i read that. it already has an aftermarket HU in it though. I've done aftermarket ones and it was easy, but i heard about stock ones being hard and thought it might be easier to just pay the $80 to get a new one installed.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
No way, theyre easy as to remove. It might possibly be calais HUs or something that have the screw at the back, but it looks like you have an exec so i doubt it would be there.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
My base model Lexcen VN had the screws at the back (facing forward). As far as I know all VN/VP/VR models were the same when standard. My sister in law's VN Exec was also the same but an installer had cut the bracket.
If you have an 8mm flat spanner (no bends) it makes it easier but due to lack of movement it takes time. I didn't have a spanner and it took ages.
Most shops just cut this part of the bracket off rather than try to unscrew it.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yeah i read that. it already has an aftermarket HU in it though. I've done aftermarket ones and it was easy, but i heard about stock ones being hard and thought it might be easier to just pay the $80 to get a new one installed.

trust me man, that'll work just fine for you. Use that guide.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I've done quite a few vr/vs with stock head units and haven't seen one with the crew in it yet.
Like semi said, i found it pretty easy as well.

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
ok cool, thanks for that. Gonna get it into my VS this weekend and replace one in my VN while im going :eek:

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
My base model Lexcen VN had the screws at the back (facing forward). As far as I know all VN/VP/VR models were the same when standard. My sister in law's VN Exec was also the same but an installer had cut the bracket.
If you have an 8mm flat spanner (no bends) it makes it easier but due to lack of movement it takes time. I didn't have a spanner and it took ages.
Most shops just cut this part of the bracket off rather than try to unscrew it.

I have a VR and the stock HU didnt have a screw at the back