Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing stubborn oil contamination from windscreen

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK, guys - anybody got a sure fire solution to this problem? I have just had to turn back from driving to a party because of the state of my windscreen. Typically, it's pissing down up here and the wipers just turn the screen to a streaky bloody mess. I've cleaned the wipers three times today, with detergent, clean water and dry clean cloths, detergent on the screen, clean water, windscreen cleaner - nothing works. The screen is crystal clear when it's dry but absolutely diabolical when wet. The wiper blades could be part of the problem, but the crap on the screen won't shift - when it's damp, and you wipe the glass with a clean rag, you can see the contamination but can't remove it.

Tried the old newsprint trick too - N.B.G.

Anybody got any ideas please?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey mate, i read on another thread that you can buy a solvent windscreen cleaner, maybe try that. or degreaser? And maybe rain-x will help as well to keep it clean
Goodluck mate

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
hey mate, i read on another thread that you can buy a solvent windscreen cleaner, maybe try that. or degreaser? And maybe rain-x will help as well to keep it clean
Goodluck mate

I tried Rain-X a few years ago and found that it created exactly the same sort of problems that I have now, but you couldn't remove it either. The solution ended up being a new screen. Would never touch that product again. Thanks for the suggestion about the cleaner though - I'll see if I can get something like that tomorrow with new wipers.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Have you tried electrical contact cleaner or even brakleen? Just trying to think of stuff that may be around the house.. Plus replace the wipers as they have more than likely been buggered for ages and well contaminated.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Start with new blades, and give the windscreen a real good clean by hand before you fit them - just use Windex and a clean towel.

Most of the time that will be enough, otherwise you're up for new glass - though I wouldn't expect a car as new as yours to be in that state already.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
^^^^
I`m with him.
Good luck.

PS. Try metho and a rag and some elbow grease.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I think what you're seeing is just wear and tear on the windscreen from bad wipers. They foul up the surface, and make it hard to remove water efficiently.

What you need, is some brasso. Get a little bit on a cotton rag, and gently buff the entire surface of the windscreen in small sections. I think you'll find things will improve markedly :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanks for the suggestions fellahs. I have given the glass a really good going over with detergent, then windex, today and the glass is as clean as it can be. In fact, when dry, it looks like new except for a few minor scratches from wipers rubbing across a dry dirty screen over the years. I'll give Morton's suggestion a go with the Brasso to try to reduce the intensity of the scratches.

The wiper blades are not that old - I replaced them late last year. I have pulled them off the car and given them a thorough cleaning with detergent, then wiped them back with Windex and clean dry rags and the amount of **** that came off was amazing, given that they are not that old.

Haven't tried them in the rain yet, but I will get another set of blades along with the Brasso.

Missus was not happy Jan, last night. We were trying to drive to Sydney for a farewell party for friends heading overseas, but had to turn back after ten k's because we couldn't drive any faster than 60km/h on the F3 and our vision was bloody awful. Filthy screen, filthy blades and constant road spray and rain, pitch black, headlights.....really crappy trip, so we turned around and went home.