Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing sump on VS commodore

norlesh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 litre Automatic Station Wagon
So I keep on hearing all this advice to take the engine out the top, drop the k frame and remove the engine out the bottom, remove the cross member (yeh f@#$ you very much Ellerys - the book advises this then omits the section on removing the crossmember!).

At the moment the front of the car is up on stands with the bonnet taken off so I can see more clearly. I don't yet have any hoisting equipment - but there are some auto stores in walking distance if that turns out to be necessary. Rite now the 'easiest' way for me to do this is the method with INSTRUCTIONS preferably with some images so I can get my bearings. It would like to know what is gonna drop, what need supporting etc - before I undo the bolts while I'm under there.

also does anybody have a Gregory's or other for the VS and can they confirm if this is covered in the book - obviously I'm not happy with my Ellery's (it's now laying on the garage floor next to the wall where I threw it in disgust) and if I'm going to shell out again for another book I'd like to know what is inside the plastic cover is actually going to be useful to me.

PS sorry if this comes off this post sounds a bit abrupt - think I need to go and chill for a bit with a coffee!

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
undo engine mounts , jack motor up from gearbox , remove sump.. Well , thats what i did*

*Results may vary

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
As above. A few of the bolts are awkward, but the sump will come off if you undo the mounts and jack it up as high as possible.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
removal of the throttle body will allow a bit more room....

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
undo engine mounts , jack motor up from gearbox
Bugga! wish I had thought of that when I did my engine mounts...lifted motor via the sump and compressed the sump gasket, so now the sucker weeps....mutter mutter curse.....

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
How does this apply?
when you jack the motor up the TB is pretty much the first thing to hit the firewall...remove it and you can get the motor higher ;)

norlesh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank's for the replies guys - I'm assuming the manual gearbox has a nice meaty cast surface underneath to put the jack on. I'm looking at my auto transmission and the only exposed surface on the bottom is the tin pan it uses for a sump. Don't think it would stand for supporting the 180 kg engine even if the weight was directly over it instead of jutting out to the front as the engine does... am I missing something or will I need to support the engine from the top?

norlesh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank's for the replies guys - I'm assuming the manual gearbox has a nice meaty cast surface underneath to put the jack on. I'm looking at my auto transmission and the only exposed surface on the bottom is the tin pan it uses for a sump. Don't think it would stand for supporting the 180 kg engine even if the weight was directly over it instead of jutting out to the front as the engine does... am I missing something or will I need to support the engine from the top?

Wow that 'tin pan' is tougher than it looks! Used a chunk of wood as a spreader between the trans and the jack and now its up and didn't see any deformation in the trans sump. I placed some old brake pads on the bracket the engine mount was bolted to and lowered some of the engine weight back down onto those to make sure theres no unexpected movement while my fingers are amongst it!

Will find out tonight when I get home and get covered in filth from the sump if it gave enough clearance for the job :)

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Wow that 'tin pan' is tougher than it looks! Used a chunk of wood as a spreader between the trans and the jack and now its up and didn't see any deformation in the trans sump. I placed some old brake pads on the bracket the engine mount was bolted to and lowered some of the engine weight back down onto those to make sure theres no unexpected movement while my fingers are amongst it!

Will find out tonight when I get home and get covered in filth from the sump if it gave enough clearance for the job :)

what so no a single thing holding the engine up but the jack under the trans sump with wood in between?