Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing superchargers??

clark522

Reaction score
Hey everyone, im looking for a manual vt and i found the one i want but it has a supecharger on it. Im on red p's in vic so i cant drive anything like that.
So my question is could be be just as simple to take the supercharger off and be able to drive like that or would i have to do other stuff to it as well??
Help is very appreciated.

Thanks, jesse

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
no, it will still be classed as a supercharged car (if its a factory supercharger) regardless of the fact it has no supercharger.
take 5 minutes and ring your local Police station and see what they think.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
you should be ok with it, do what davway said ring your local cop shop and ask, also there will be a little more to do than just remove the charger, you will more than likely need a natural aspirated engine management computer as well as a n/a intake manifold including injectors, etc as i think they have bigger injectors, etc, but you should be ok, as there power to weight ratio won't be near the 125kw/tonne. good luck with it, hope all ok, will be a great base for future performance mods if you can drive it too ;)

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
You'd save yourself a whole lot of bother and money by just looking for a manual N/A.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Um, The L67 engine never came out in a manual. If it's an aftermarket supercharger then depending on what work was done it's entirely possible to do it.

If it's an L67 and someone's converted it to manual, i wouldn't bother with it. Too many things were changed. You wouldn't run an L67 without a supercharger.

Basically to give you an idea (comparing the L67 to the standard ecotec v6):
Supercharger (DUHH)
Extra belt idlers
New balance shaft
Different camshaft sprocket
Double belt crankshaft balancer
Revised rocker covers and gaskets
Connecting rods revised
Revised pistons and pins
Different cylinder heads and gaskets
Higher capacity fuel injectors
Revised lower inlet manifold gasket
A throttle body adaptor (for supercharger)
Fuel rail (over supercharger)
Bypass valve acutator (for supercharer)
Boost control solenoid valve
Coolant system revised (coolant comes out the back of the engine instead of the front)
Revised Flexplate Balancing (more weight)
PCM is calibrated differently
High tension leads
DIS Coils and spark plugs designed for the supercharger

I think that's it
As you can see. A LOT of work! Would be much easier to just buy a manual V6!

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
just apply for exemptio, say its the only car you have access tto, or if you have a friend who runs their own work, get them to say you work for them and its a work car.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Ummm... he didn't say it had a FACTORY charger on it...

Could be a VT ecotec with a Aftermarket charger... so... taking if of all you would need to do is get it retuned.... N/A intake setup.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Um, The L67 engine never came out in a manual. If it's an aftermarket supercharger then depending on what work was done it's entirely possible to do it.

If it's an L67 and someone's converted it to manual, i wouldn't bother with it. Too many things were changed. You wouldn't run an L67 without a supercharger.

What he said. No manual super6 sold to the public (i know of one that was done for a holden CEOs mate).

Its probably a manual VT with a charger on the side. Buy it, sell the charger for extra $$. But make sure the work they've done is reversible, depending on where the piping goes, it might cause issues when its RWC time.