Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing the sump on the 3.8 V6

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Hi all.
I had a visit from a very large rock on a country road and smashed the sump open on my VX11. I have the Gregorys how to but the diagram for the sump bolts bears no resemblance to how it looks under the car so I am just wondering if anyone would have a picture of a sump off the engine so I can see how many bolts there are and where they are located. It is difficult trying to see them laying under the car.
TIA

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi all.
I had a visit from a very large rock on a country road and smashed the sump open on my VX11. I have the Gregorys how to but the diagram for the sump bolts bears no resemblance to how it looks under the car so I am just wondering if anyone would have a picture of a sump off the engine so I can see how many bolts there are and where they are located. It is difficult trying to see them laying under the car.
TIA
on a 3.8 about 18 bolts. On a 3.6 about 13 bolts. Look allong the sump flange to locate.( ? Can it be removed and refitted with engine in you need to establish.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks. According to the manual raising the engine 40mm enables the sump to be removed on the 3.8. Seems it is the only engine choice where that is a possibility. It's just trying to find where the bolts are, along the front especially with that large extension on the sump, that is making it hard for an old bloke that isn't that good at crawling around under cars as they used to be.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Thanks. According to the manual raising the engine 40mm enables the sump to be removed on the 3.8. Seems it is the only engine choice where that is a possibility. It's just trying to find where the bolts are, along the front especially with that large extension on the sump, that is making it hard for an old bloke that isn't that good at crawling around under cars as they used to be.
The reference l have shows only 3 bolts at the front. 7 along each side. 2 holes or locations at the back but not numbered. Cant copy pic due to copywrite.

Allstahr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec
Easier to just pull the motor out n do the sump. Its an ecotec not an alloytec. Alloytecs require the engine n box to be removed in one

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I am just wondering if anyone would have a picture of a sump off the engine so I can see how many bolts there are and where they are located

This picture of the sump gasket should help you locate the bolts
V6 sump gasket.jpg

And here is a picture of the sump:

V6 sump.jpg

Allstahr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec
Agreed the pic would explain alot

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that guys. Why someone thought putting three bolts in behind the harmonic balancer that cannot be access with anything other than a ring spanner that has no room to move more than about an 1/8 turn at a time was a good idea is beyond me.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
Easier to just pull the motor out n do the sump. Its an ecotec not an alloytec. Alloytecs require the engine n box to be removed in one
If I had the gear to pull the engine I might be tempted. As it is I am taking the sump off my old VT parts car to replace the shattered sump on my VX11 so would have to pull both engines and I'm not as young or as rich as I used to be. :)

jhvh777

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy storm ute
If I had the gear to pull the engine I might be tempted. As it is I am taking the sump off my old VT parts car to replace the shattered sump on my VX11 so would have to pull both engines and I'm not as young or as rich as I used to be. :)

G'day AussieTrev

How did you end going with the job? I've read on the the forums here, that you will have to undo and move the steering rack to get the sump out as well, is that true?