Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing ute tailgate?

esp_ryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 UTE
Hi guys, just bought a new tailgate for my ute to replace the current one thats been damaged.
I have had a go at taking it off myself and found the tub liner easy enough to take up, and to my understanding there are just 2 torx screws at either side supporting the tailgate and 4 bolts where the hinges are.
The problem i'm having is to do with the wiring for the number plate lights, im having difficulty threading them back through the tailgate as one of the plugs does not fit through the hole in the tailgate.
Does anyone know if there is a join somewhere in this wiring or have experience with un-threading the wires back through the tailgate? any insight will be much appreciated!
Thanks guys !
Ryan

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You can probably remove the pins(or sockets) from the plug.

Might need a small instrument screwdriver to release the lock clips on the pins to get them out of the plug.

Just remember which pins go in each hole in the plug when you reassemble it.

esp_ryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 UTE
thanks for the reply !
i just used a screw driver and got the rubber sockets out of the plug but the wires are still imbedded into the plug, any idea how to release the wires from the plug? cheers

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
Have you removed the tailgate liner? May help, i will be removing mine soon, so i will know soon enough

esp_ryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 UTE
Yeah i have removed the tailgate liner no problem.
underneath that tailgate liner is where the numberplate light wiring lies.
The problem im having is threading that wiring back through the tailgate as the plug does not fit through the hole :\
im thinking i might get an auto electician to f-off the numberplate lights and un-thread the wiring that goes with them, then ill put the tailgate back on and get him to rethread them... im just abit iffy about cutting wires haha.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
You can probably remove the pins(or sockets) from the plug.

Might need a small instrument screwdriver to release the lock clips on the pins to get them out of the plug.

Just remember which pins go in each hole in the plug when you reassemble it.

this is your answer to your problem, your not listening. ;(

esp_ryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 UTE
this is your answer to your problem, your not listening. ;(

lol nah that isnt the answer to my question buddy..
if anyone wants to know; the wires leading back to the tub needs to be snipped at the plug then joined again once the new tailgate it put on.
And the numberplate lights housing unit is actually removable which i didn't realise.., so that is how you thread the other wires back out of the tailgate.
also might add that the once the torx screws are removed from the latches on either side, they just slide out...