Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing VN V6 injectors

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Since quite a few VN owners seem to have injectors that they want to get cleaned or replace them, I thought i'd put this up.

Things you will need:-
-12 O ring seals (2 for each injector)
-10mm ring spanner
-13mm socket & ratchet with extension
-14mm open ended spanner
-Flat head screwdriver
-Philips head screwdriver
-A bit of rag
-A little engine oil

You will need to make sure that the engine is pretty much stone cold before you start this, as there may be some fuel loss.

1.Depressurise the fuel system as follows
-Remove the fuel pump fuse from the relay housing on the driver's side of the engine bay

Image014.jpg

-Start the car and let it idle until it stalls
-Turn the engine over on the starter motor for about 10 seconds
-Put the fuse back in

2.Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Very important!!

3. Remove the vacuum hose and fuel return hose from the fuel pressure regulator.

Image021.jpg

Remove the vacuum hoses from the front of the throttle body and unclip them from the fuel rail.

Image018.jpg

Undo the fuel supply hose where it connects to the rear of the fuel rail on the passenger side of the car. There may still be some pressure in the fuel system so a small amount of fuel might spray out when you undo this.

Image025.jpg

4.Unclip the electrical connections from the top of the injectors

Image017-1.jpg

5.Undo the four 13mm bolts that hold the fuel rail to the intake manifold and check there is no dirt around the injectors that may fall into the holes when the fuel rail and injectors are removed. You're now ready to take the fuel rail (complete with injectors) off the car. The injectors might be pretty tight in the intake manifold, so i'd recommend gently pulling them out one by one to avoid damaging anything. The fuel rail assenbly should look like this when you remove it.

Image026.jpg

6.Remove the metal clips that hold the tops of the injectors on to the fuel rail. It may take quite a lot of force to remove each injector, but they will come out once the clips are removed.

7.Check that each injector has an O ring seal where it fits into the intake amnifold and the fuel rail. These sometimes get stuck in the holes the injector came out of and come off the injector. If there are any O rings missing from injectors you need to carefully remove them from the hole where they have stuck.

Image027.jpg

8.Slide the O ring off the top of each injector and replace it with a new one. Do the same on the bottom of each injector but be careful of the tiny plastic rings that are either side of the O ring as they will be very brittle due to age and heat. You need to leave the plastic rings where they are and slide the O ring off over the top of the one that sits below the O ring. Carefully slide the new O rings in to place on the bottom of the injectors.

9.From here,refitting is a reversal of the removal procedure. When you put the injectors in to the fuel rail,make sure the O rings are properly positioned or there will be a big fuel leak. Also it's a good idea to smear a little engine oil on the O rings before refitting the injectors to ensure a good seal.

10.Before you start the car, have someone watch the engine bay (from a safe distance) while you turn the ignition on (just so the dash warning lights come on) so the fuel pump primes and they will be able to see any fuel leaks.

Hopefully this will be of some help and not too difficult to follow!!

Last edited:

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Thanks! No, it's not too difficult really. That's basically how the procedure runs in the Gregory's manual, but with pointers for a few problems I came across when I did mine. It made a big difference to how the car runs after changing my injectors. It idles smoother, goes better and uses less perol now :thumbsup:

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
this is a great how to mine is out atm and have put the first coat of paint on the fuel rail (red)
you are right about the injector's being tight lol i dont think they have ever been out of my car!

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
great write up ! I have a problem though i removed my injectors because there was a leak from one of them so i replaced all the O rings and still have the left hand rear injector leaking during idle any help would be appreciated cheers :beer chug: