Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing VT/VX door trim

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
This is how the door trims are removed:

1.Remove the window winder (unless u r like me and have power windows ) To make this job easy go to holden and buy a handle removing tool (relatively inexpensive. Or you can use the other method which involves a sliding a rag behind the winder (I'd advise using tool). With the tool (or Rag) you willl need to pop out the clip behind the handle.

2.Remove the door handle. Prise off the small screw cover on the plastic cover ( thin screwdriver works well) then you will see a screw underneath the cover, unscrew this.

3.Remove lock. The little orange tabs need to be prised out ( I would recommend buying replacement clips for these whilst at holden because they will be damaged whilst removing.They are very cheap to buy.) Now remove screw and lift off the button.

4. For driver's side, remove power mirrors. Simply prise out with small screwdriver.

5. Remove plastic mirror covers. Another case of prising off with screwdriver.

6.Remove all door trim screws. From memory they is one in middle and bottom of both left and right hand sides of trims and three in the bottom of trim.

7.Press on the middle of door to release the door trim clip. Now carefully lift door trim remembering to disconnect any wiring connectors eg. power windows/ mirrors.

Ballport1998vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt Exec S1 3.8ecotec
problem getting out the orange tab

i am having trouble getting out the orange tab i am wondering if you could show us with pics exactly how to remove them eg pry them from the top of tab or bottom:bang:

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Sorry I don't have any pics, and I am not going to remove it now as it would be destroyed. Best thing to do, (I should of stated this in beginning) is to grab a screwdriver and punch a hole in the middle of the orange tab then pry it out. It will obviously destroy it but it is cheaper than buying the whole surrounding grey piece, which will be damaged trying to remove any other way.

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Use a very small flat blade , while lifting the lock up you can get it in the top of the tab and then lever it out carefully , if you do it right then you wont damage it and will never be able to tell its been touched.
Will get pics , have to do one tomorrow.

B

Benny

Well I just did an install on my ute the other day.. happened to take some pics:

stereo-020305%20003_sml.jpg

This is the bit you need to pop out... probably better to do it from the underside rather than the top, as I did here.. but either way will work. You don't have to remove it all the way, just pop it out a few mm and you will then be able to remove the lock button from the shaft it sits on.. the orange bit just clips over the shaft and holds it in place.

stereo-020305%20004_sml.jpg

This is what the button sits on... gotta remove this screw in behind it too, if you want to pull the door trim off.

stereo-020305%20005_sml.jpg

As you can see I damaged the button slightly in removing it.. it's bloody hard not to do though. This is why I say you're better to try and pop it out from the underside (which I actually did on the first door.. don't know why I went from the top on this one.. ANYWAY...)

Hope that helps.... :)

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Great tips Benny. I just did it for the first time on my WHII and the secret to not ruining the red tab is to pop it out from the bottom. I used a very fine flat screwdriver (2.0mm) and it works a treat. Just watch out for the flying door snib!

mistaken

... pimpin it VT stylez
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Also, if you can afford to break a small screwdriver ... heat up the end of a small flat-head electrical screwdriver and bend it to a 45 degree angle .. this will make it easier to pry out the orange tab without chipping/breaking it :)

Cody

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator / HQ 5.0L Tonner
do you need to remove the whole door trim just to replace the speaker pod grille?

P

psycho_circus

Cody - I'd like to know the answer to the same question - anyone care to answer?

mistaken

... pimpin it VT stylez
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Speaker pod grille? I think its 'melted' into the door trim. You need to remove the door trim to get to the speaker.

Also, just a couple more things with removing the trim....

1) Once you take the door handle off, there is another screw behind where the door handle was... just up above the hole.. you'll see it. It's a bitch if you don't know about it, cos you spend ages trying to figure out WTF it ain't moving ;)

2) You can pop the orange tab out from the top without breaking it - treat it gently and it'll cooperate. It only needs to come out about 1mm - just enough to slide the knob up and off.

3) Trick with replacing the door trim is clipping the white clip in the middle back in first, then aligning the lock rod, then then top trim that runs along the window ledge.. then the rest just pops into place.

I've removed the doortrim half a dozen times in last 4 weeks - do it with my eyes closed now ! :hit: