Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing windscreen rubber seal

Looballs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 2
hi there.

I have a 99 VT with a puddle in the driver's footwell that appears only after rain. Ive taken it to the mechanic to see if they could get the wipers off to get the vent guards out to clean them (I couldn't) which they did and said that after a brief water test they think the issue is the windscreen and needs to be resealed or replaced and would cost around $300.her not spend that and found a wind screen sealant at supercheap auto that I figured would be worth a try, however I need to get the rubber around the window off.

So, does anyone know of any tricks or tips as not to damage it and get it back on securely, and also do you think trying to seal.it is worthwhile?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
I don't think it's possible to remove the the rubber seal and then fit it back in without also removing the windscreen. I remember cleaning the dirt out from under the windscreen seal of my VX years ago. It popped out slightly and the only way I got it back it was to have the windscreen removed and refitted. If you have a windscreen leak it might be best to have it removed entirely and reseated as the windscreen (including sealant) forms part of the structural integrity of the roof. Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for. Hopefully someone else on this forum may have a solution.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
i got a dude to fit a windscreen from a wreckers i got he did it for a hundred bucks cash a contact of the wreckers maybe ask a wreckers if they know anyone that will do it for cash cheap

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
was a professeniol windscreen fitter by the way just willing to do cashies

Looballs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 2
I don't think it's possible to remove the the rubber seal and then fit it back in without also removing the windscreen. I remember cleaning the dirt out from under the windscreen seal of my VX years ago. It popped out slightly and the only way I got it back it was to have the windscreen removed and refitted. If you have a windscreen leak it might be best to have it removed entirely and reseated as the windscreen (including sealant) forms part of the structural integrity of the roof. Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for. Hopefully someone else on this forum may have a solution.
Thanks Sam_100 I was hoping for a simple solution but did assume it was beyond me. Thanks for the advice.

Looballs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 2
i got a dude to fit a windscreen from a wreckers i got he did it for a hundred bucks cash a contact of the wreckers maybe ask a wreckers if they know anyone that will do it for cash cheap
Thanks mate I might call a wreckers when this pandemic eases.