Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing wiring loom

joebloggs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe
Has anyone removed the main dash/engine loom from a VT? Is the engine bay fuse block taken into the cabin or it has to come out the other way? I've bought climate control to put into my exec with the loom & bcm, but can't figure out how to get the old loom out.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Mr. Bloggs,

I have removed the loom from my VT (it's totally stripped) and in all honesty, i cut through the loom right at the firewall grommet. But from memory, i would say the loom pulls out into the engine bay. Hope this helps

LYV Y R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS Ute
From what lve read engine fuse box goes through firewall, but only if you swear a lot.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s not designed to to be removed.
It is installed into the firewall before the firewall is installed in the car. In the outer side, there is a small tab held in place with butyl and foil tape. The harness slots into the side and the tab is added. It all then goes into the body of the car. So because that tab can’t be removed once the firewall is in, removing the loom is like building a ship in a bottle.

It can be done but likely damage is done to the fuse and relay box from under the bonnet.

If detailed pictures and records are made of the wiring under the fuse/relay box, you could depin the housing and easily bring it inside the car through from the engine bay. However you would want to be taking your time putting the pins back in very carefully.

Exogator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Executive wagon, VT Acclaim
You can get it out by feeding the car side towards the engine bay, but it's an absolute sh!t show, wires have to be in the exact right place has to be angled exactly right, then you push alittle to hard and snap the damn fuse box in half and have to repin a whole new fuse box (only done that twice xD) I've only managed to get 3 out, the others were on cars going to scrap so I just cut the firewall and bent it back xD

LYV Y R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS Ute
I pulled the loom out of VX LS1 this afternoon.
Heres how you position the engine bay fuse box so it goes through firewall.
Minimal swearing.

Attachments

• 20240116_155612.jpg
    20240116_155612.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 86

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Goes through ok? Or just goes through?

LYV Y R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS Ute
From other accounts l've read, this was much easier, and pushed through by hand.

Reactions: Lex

LYV Y R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS Ute
Crass people would still describe it as a clint of a job.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
From other accounts l've read, this was much easier, and pushed through by hand.
It was never designed to come out once in. Those that say it’s easy have never done it. Your photos and experience are helpful. There’s not much online documenting it.