Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repainting VR Tail Lights

J

jayderichards

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to repaint the lenses on faded tail lights?
I'm a newbie at self-reno on cars, and don't want to accidently damage my tail lights as they are.

I've bought the transparent red spray from Repco, but couldn't find a way to open the Tail lights to spray the brake part and possibly the reflector.

I'm open to some suggestions!

Thanks
Jayde!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Its best to remove the lights from the car via the 2 nuts and then tape off the bit you want to spray/paint so that only the faded reflector is visible. Don't go overboard with the thickness. Good Luck

J

jayderichards

you can't open them and paint the inside of the light lense?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Unfortunately not - just mask off the tail light so that the oblong reflector is exposed and spray. Maybe practice on a piece of old perspex or the clear cover from a CD case (similar type of plastic) and see what difference one or two coats make.

J

jayderichards

kewl. will that work for the red brake part also?

Thanks Hako!!

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
You will only really be able to pull off the brake lights. The reflector/indicators/reverse light areas wont turn out.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
kewl. will that work for the red brake part also?

Thanks Hako!!

Dunno why you'd want to as its usually the reflector that fades but there's no reason why not except that the rest of your red taillight may be darker than the reflector after painting.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Someone told me that you can put the light in the oven long enough to remove the lens, also if just the reflector lights have faded then I would drill a hole so you can pour some of that red stuff in the cavity and swish it around about till the fadeness goes away.

J

jayderichards

thanks everyone! l'll try sealing off the other areas and spraying the brake light and reflector.

:wax:

J

jayderichards

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem.

Attached is the final result of respraying my old lights. I did recieve my new set of lights from Ebay but they were in WORSE condition than my old set.

Anyways... Thank you! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCF1886.JPG
    DSCF1886.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 379