Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Repair / Make Better Drivers Seat plastic panel

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
This applies to VZ but may be used on others. See pics of a repaired one I have not needed to use

(1) To make the panel better BEFORE it breaks at the centre holding point

remove the centre pop out cover and screw and the front screw under the front of the seat
pull or lever off the seat back winder knob and the panel will now come off
if the centre section is not broken as they often do, drill it through with a 6 mm drill bit
get a 50 x 12 gauge hex head metal fix (self drilling) roof screw see pics and good luck buying just one screw.
Paint the screw head black.
These screws are so strong you could hang yourself off one if you needed to
also get a #27 (5/16") hex drive and use it in a battery drill or electric drill to drill the screw into the seat steel (which is high tensile stuff so takes a bit to get it through)
replace the panel and drill the hex screw until it holds by it's own thread preferably with a battery drill
note the panel hooks onto the steel of the seat in places so make sure it is fitted correctly before drilling and screwing
replace the front screw and seat back knob
job done

(2) If the centre holding point is broken which they often are, then drill it out with a 1/2" drill bit and get a piece of 1/2" copper tube 36 mm long and clean it up then super glue it into the section you drilled out making sure the outer end is flush with the housing where the screw head will sit against
the rest is same as above

Edit (3) I have added repair of the front bracket now using some old aluminium angle tile edging

Super glue the piece back in place and allow to set then make up 2 small ali angle pieces and scuff up the plastic and the ali with sand paper then araldite them in place.

DSCN0600.JPG
DSCN0601.JPG
DSCN0603.JPG
DSCN0647.JPG

Last edited:

turbovich

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
I just did this . Literally walked out to shed, cut some copper pipe and found screw. Only mod I did was a quick spray of black paint to head of fastener .