Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repair VY - Bonnet and Front Panel Swaps With VZ etc?

David93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Executive
Hi everyone,
Would really appreciate some help with something - I have a VY Commodore I need to get a new 1. front bumper panel 2. bonnet and 3. right front panel for.
Given I'm on a students budget I'm trying to see if I could increase my options to finding a (wrecked or otherwise) cheap old VZ or even VX etc for parts. For a few other reasons an entire vehicle is preferable to just parts for me too. - Are the panels mentioned able to be straight swapped between any of these cars to my VY? (Bonnet of particular importance)
Help is much appreciated! Cheers

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The VT to VZ front end panels will interchange, but it's not a one panel suits all models deal....
To fit VZ (or VT/VX) parts to your VY you will need to swap:
# Bonnet (They have different body lines in the bonnet)….Google VT/VX, VY and VZ bonnets and you'll see what I mean
# Grill
# Front bumper
# Headlights
# Guards (If swapping to VT/VX parts to your VY)
Note:
VY and VZ front guards are identical and are interchangeable

You might be better off just sourcing a VY Bonnet, Front bumper and Right guard instead of going to the hassle of changing the whole front end over to a different model.....But at the end of the day that's your call, especially if you can get all the parts required cheap enough.

You can always try looking at:
# Your local wrecking yard
# Wreckers on Ebay are always stripping and selling commodore parts
# Gumtree or local Facebook Buy, Swap and Sell pages
If you look hard enough you will find what you need at a good price

David93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Executive
Thanks a bunch for that detailed response! Great, so if a VZ pops up affordably before a VY I’ll grab it otherwise I’ll try go for the panels by themselves.

If I started off just swapping a bonnet onto the VY with no other new/swapped parts yet would a VZ or VX/VT bonnet be compatible enough to sit flush do you know? The bonnet is the main thing making it look suspicious on the road for now and I might even have access to a VX bonnet I could use to get me driving to a wreckers etc for the other parts.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
vx bonnets are different at the front above the grill. they are rounded, the vy and vz have an edge cut out above the grill

a vz bonnet might fit but it may not suit your bumper and grill, cos the vz bonnet is shaped even more differently

are u saying front guards? the vt vx have different headlights so their headlight cut out areas on the guards wont suit vy vz

just search on gumtree plenty of people selling parts from wrecks

David93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Executive
Ok great, thanks. Yep have got my eyes on a couple of broken whole cars now. Cheers