Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repairing a stripped headbolt thread

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Has anyone had a headbolt thread repair done or know where to get a recoil kit for it? M11x2.0 x 30D I think the thread is and it's set fairly deep in the block. Timesert sell a repair kit but it's over $500 ex US. I sure as hell ain't paying that for a single thread. Iv searched for a helicoil/powercoil kit this size nothing listed in eBay. Amazon do the timesert thread coils in US but don't ship to Australia. I'd appreciate some help if somebody's been thru this repair before. I don't really wanna take this to a shop when I could do it myself only I don't know where to find a repair kit for it or if another size kit and bolt can be used.

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Call a thread repair professional.

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
A thread repair professional...... thanks mate il keep that in mind

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Found this mob once before, but I imagine they wouldn't be cheap, problem is they are mostly all kits, not one off and that is usually the kicker. Alot of Bolt and Nut suppliers have helicoils, when I had mates who had motor bikes, but a head bolt is something else. might be a job for a head shop which may be cheaper in the long run.
Time-Sert Thread Repair - Helicoil Alternative- Cross Tools Co

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
hellicoil etc wont hold a head to the block, don't bother trying, you cant torque it up enough. (i think I've still got a baggy of M11x2.0 hellicoils around the shed somewhere actually :p)

It's a GM odd ass size thread so trying to get someone to fix it is pretty difficult.

I ended up buying a time-sert kit 2nd hand on ebay from the USA for about $250ish, fixing my car and selling it locally for $300ish to a local thread doctor after i fixed the 2 in my car. :p

You can't use another bolt size really because the bolts are required length, tensile strength and torque to yield single use bolts as well in an ALLOY block, so you got to be supercareful.

There is only 3 real options, call a thread doctor and hope he can fix it or buy the time-sert kit or buy a new block, i went through all this a few years ago, undid 2 headbolts and it brought the thread out with it cause Holden had done em up with a ####ing rattle gun.

I am assuming either you pulled the thread out like me taking it off or you didn't clean the threads of the block before trying torque the heads up, or you tried to reuse the original bolts.

Either way buy some ARP headbolts once its fixed :p it will never be a problem again.

The joint mantaray56 linked has the 11x2.0x30mm kit under universal kits so might be worth enquirying about.

But in regards to the time-sert kit holding up, ive been running them in my car for like 2 years now and i ride it hard and no issues, but i also put a ARP head kit in after i fixed it cause #### ever taking the headbolts out again.

Last edited:

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks fellas yea I didn't chase the threads wen I did the lifters. Used new headbolts and swore for about 2mins on the last 90 degree turn wen 1x bolt went spongey on me

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'm thinking bout leaving it as is then. Haven't taken head back off and Iv done about 5,000ks running already with no dramas with that bolt not torqued down fully. Maybe it'll hold enuff cudve sworn there wudnt be any more than 50ftlbs on it. Can't remember if it was the 1st or 2nd 90degree turn it went spongey..... It's enuf to bug ya to wanna fix it before it does cause problems

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
depends if its a middle bolt or an end bolt, i'd fix it either way but if its an end bolt your just asking for trouble.

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Yea il strip it down and take the block in to an LS machine shop at least they got the kit to repair it I'm assuming they ain't gonna put a helicoil in. I'm changing the cam and replacing the bottom end bearings anyway. Found an Ls gasket set on eBay for $120 free postage from an Aussie seller comes with front and rear seals n cover gaskets, sump gasket, all cooling gaskets,valve covers and exh header gaskets and some other stuff for ls1, not a bad price for all that shud fit L98. Just need a valley, head and intake gaskets I think. Would a cut in an old head bolt be OK to chase the threads with or do I have to buy that ARP thread chaser?

Last edited: