Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repairing cracked sailplane

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In have cracks in my sailplane and was going to fibreglass mat and resin it. However this would mean a lot of sanding and feathering over a far greater distance to get it looking right. I'm now thinking of using epoxy resin instead as it would be far easier to sand back and keep the original edge. Anyone know if this would work? It is a fibreglass plane. I have filled the plane with expanda foam so strength by the use of mat is no longer needed I don't think.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah i have but I needed to glue the cracks together without heaps of filler. Fibre fill is ok but its harder to work with.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Change of plans. Because it was cracked the repairs looked bodgy. The expanda foam was good in theory but it had opened the cracks from the pressure. It looked ok after i glued and filled the cracks. However it had swollen spots. They weren't heaps noticeable but it wasn't perfect. Also i scored a aluminium front and rear carry bar for 80 bucks. I couldn't get the bar on without removing the sailplane. So i took it off.

Last edited: