Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repairing cracks and preping help

LowerSpasm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Hi im new to paint prep and stuff and have a few questions. btw I dont plan on painting the parts myself but i want to at least do some prep for paint.

I have a VX SS front bar which has some cracks. Some of them have been repaired by the previous owner, and they seem to have done a good job. However there are some little cracks around the fog lights that i want to repair before paint. What do i use to do this and what method?

There are some deep scratches and stuff, what do i use to fiil these?

What sort of primer do i use and what grade sand paper for sanding.

Also what is the best way to strip the paint? sanding?

I have done a search but i dont really know what key words to use so didnt find much

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
well. im gonna go first and hopefuly other people can give you better info :p

cracks that go all the way through (and open and close when you flex it) can be fixed by drilling a bunch of 1/8th holes along the crack, carving a little channel to join the two holes over the crack, then use zip ties to tie it up. then fill over the top with bumper filler (bog that flexes) fixing cracks is nearly impossible unless you have proper plastic welding equipment, and even then sometimes they can split again when you go to fit the bar. i used the zip tie method once and it worked perfectly.

deep scratches should all be sanded off, dont use anything to fill it if you can avoid it. light scratches can be filled with hi-fill. but you cant go too thick cos hi-fill doesnt flex.

you should use some stuff called 'flexi-prime' on the bar as your primer.

LowerSpasm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
The major cracks have been fixed through plastic welding (by the previous owner). There are just a few bits that have been missed (fog lights) i could leave them and every thing would be fine but im just a little ocd with it and want it perfect. They arnt huge cracks btw. i can probably take a picture if that helps

Apparently i should use a plastic repair Glue iv read on the internet? are the products you suggested the same thing?

Is the "Bumper filler" and Flexi-Prime" two different products? and when looking for these products would i find them at Bunnings or something?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
nah bunnings stopped supplying all automive stuff, so you need to go to a paint store.

flexi-prime is the primer you spray on your bar before the hi-fill, it sticks better and allows for a little bit of flex before flaking off, bumper filler is like bog that flexes.

plastic repair glue will probably do that job, as long as they are not cracks that are prone to moving. otheriwse the paint will just crack and flake off.

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
just buy a brand new bar from holden of the top of my head they're around $250ish it'll save you a lot of time.