Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace Inner Tie Rod To Steering Rack

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
So the driver's side inner tie rod on the steering rack of my VE Commodore needs replacing.

I've searched high and low and have not been able to find any mention of anyone changing one of these on a VE Commodore.

I've found a few who have discussed this on earlier model Commodores but nothing on a VE.

Has anyone done this and could you please explain what is required.

Specifically, I know I have to unwind the old one off and put a new one on, but I have no information regarding the specifics. For example, is the tie rod held in place simply by the tightness of the thread? I have seen photos of cheap Taiwanese inner tie rods on eBay for a VE Commodore which are sold with a washer which I can only assume sits between the inner tie rod and the rack, and this washer is bent over the tie rod to hold it in place. Is this correct?

Elsewhere, for earlier Commodore models there's mention of a pin which holds the inner tie rod in place. Is this how a VE is done as well?

I'd like to know what I need to purchase before pulling everything apart only to find I'm missing this or that.

Any help appreciated, and it would be nice to have some information on what is required to replace the inner tie rod on a VE Commodore as I'd be very surprised if I'm the only one who has ever had to do this.

Thanks.

Chuff

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
You will have to first remove the Outer tie rod end. Count how many turns it takes to undo it and remember this for reinstallation to help with alignment. If you're spot on, you wouldn't need a wheel alignment but obviously it's always recommended for steering work.

The steering boot is next...there's a wire camp on it at the rack end and a squeeze clamp on the wheel end. You have un twist the wire clamp to remove it so take note of how it's twisted. It might break so have some spare wire on hand also.

Now to remove the actual rack end, you will need a big shifting spanner. There are square sides on it and the rack end simply unscrews. There are no pins holding in place .

I don't believe the GM ones I changed had washers but if so there's definitely no bending involved.