Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replace manual diff In V6 VS UTE with auto diff

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good to see a bloke happy to admit he is wrong. Some blokes seem to harp on some BS and won't admit they fucked up.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Like I always say, a fool is someone that makes a mistake and learns from it, an idiot keeps making the same mistakes over and over again.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah and they keep arguing black and blue and won't give up, even when they don't have a leg to stand on.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
wagon diff will bolt in,they're all 3.08 gears only real difference iirc is bump stop plate on axle tube for utes.

Try to find vs series 2/3 as should all be lsd from factory although need to double check as bought a single pegger last time out of series 3 vs ute lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My VR ute has LSD. Easy to tell if the tag is still attached.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try to find vs series 2/3 as should all be lsd from factory

I don't think so ......................... where did you get that idea from ?

My wagon is a very late June 97, which is one of the last VS's built and that's definitely not an LSD.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Utes not wagons...o.p has a ute so may as well get lsd ute diff

Drive a single pegger vg/p ute in the rain you'll quickly realise why they became standard with s pack & v8 models.

Personally not keen on cig locker/mini-spool/full spool unless it's a weekender & still rather have truetrac or weak factory lsd

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon diff will bolt in,they're all 3.08 gears only real difference iirc is bump stop plate on axle tube for utes.

Try to find vs series 2/3 as should all be lsd from factory although need to double check as bought a single pegger last time out of series 3 vs ute lol

Well you're talking wagons within the same post and as such it would be rather confusing to many. You just can't assume everyone knows exactly what's running through your head at the time as you're writing.

No biggie just good to clarify.

Folker147

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8lt VS Manual Ute
To keep you all in the loop, the diff eventually shat itself, few levels down under of block units.. joy!. Do not change a diff in a without power tool in a basement... After trying 6 places 1 found a diff out penrith way. LSD of a auto V6. $250. Wrapped it up and put in my yaris n got it home.. about 20hrs later she's in. Drives fine, speedo doesnt have room for error anymore though. infact now she's under by 2km instead of over by 5km. e.g. waze says 100km but speedo reads 98. has it made it faster or slower i dunno tbh, maybe the speedo being under instead of over is misleading.. by the by it works and if you ever have to swap a diff/ axle over DO NOT CUT the soft hose on the breakline.. infact if you undo the brake line from the caliper and and take off the disc shield and you can lift the whole line off the axle

Folker147

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8lt VS Manual Ute
to correct my last post, Yes it has lost some acceleration with the auto diff but the gears are also longer now e.g. 90km+ in 2nd gear.. since i use it as a work horse im not fussed with a minor loss of accel. on the free way though this thing is king! even with gear in the back.. take a on ramp at 60/70km in 3rd then plant ya foot and well you hit 110 with plenty left to go.