Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace one tyre- should I stick to Bridgestone Turanza

Stingraynut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Sportswagon
Vf Calais V Sportswagon with 12,700kms. Just got some metal stuck in a read tyre and will have to replace
It's a 245/40 R19 Bridgestone Turanza

Here in cairns that tyre is $355 - is there a cheaper equivalent?

Any recommendations?

Rob

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Buy one tyre, use the new tyre and your spare as the new set and your 12k old tyre becomes the spare.
My Turanza's lasted 60,000k and they are good tyres for the CalaisV so it's a no brainer to me.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'd buy another one, but make sure you ring around to get the best price. It's not essential to have the same tyres on each corner, but it's certainly better to keep them the same.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I'd buy another one, but make sure you ring around to get the best price. It's not essential to have the same tyres on each corner, but it's certainly better to keep them the same.

With just 12,000 Km I would want to keep the tyres the same, if you have full size same wheel/ tyre as a spare logically you'd be using that first, and I wouldn't be so fussy to have the spare being the same as the four on the car. Going back about 10 years when I bought my VX Clubby, I started out looking at VX SS's (about $20K was the intended budget so I was looking at cars about 5 years old). I was surprised that I didn't find even one car with same as original tyres, every car I looked at had cheapo tyres. Even the R8 Clubby that I bought had Falkens on it. Before that I had a VS Exec from new, I always stuck with the same Bridgestones for the 13 years I had the car (being an Exec these were only 205/15's though).

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
dgp:2839467 said:
Buy one tyre, use the new tyre and your spare as the new set and your 12k old tyre becomes the spare.
My Turanza's lasted 60,000k and they are good tyres for the CalaisV so it's a no brainer to me.

Best option if you have a full size spare, that's what I'd do.

Definitely stick with OE level tyres. Questioning this seems to me the real question should have been should I buy this car or a cheaper one.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
I would agree with DGP, I replaced the turanza on my calais V at 64500 and only on the front. I do a wheel alignment every 10k and rotate the tyres. They an excellent choice for this model and are a good compromise between long life, quietness and performance and wet grip etc.

ThunderLizard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 A6
*I think you'll find that its illegal to have different tyres on the same axle......not 100% sure, but I heard that somewhere.* WRONG

Sorry I'll correct myself - Taken from RACQ Website "It’s common to see vehicles fitted with a mixture of two or more brands of tyre. And while this is permitted under Queensland law, it is highly undesirable and should be actively discouraged."

I agree with DGP, use the old one as your spare and stick with the same tyre.

Last edited:

Stingraynut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Sportswagon
The punctured tyre was not repairable, I drove too far on it. Luckily that didn't damage the rim. I replaced with brand new turanza. Unfortunately the spare is a space saver, not another proper rim. Think I'd like to find a second hand full size rim, because the space saver doesn't save any space and would be safer - ie not speed limited to 80kph

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Don't you just hate the engineer who came up with the idea of the Space Saver tyre,

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
*I think you'll find that its illegal to have different tyres on the same axle......not 100% sure, but I heard that somewhere.* WRONG

Sorry I'll correct myself - Taken from RACQ Website "It’s common to see vehicles fitted with a mixture of two or more brands of tyre. And while this is permitted under Queensland law, it is highly undesirable and should be actively discouraged."

I agree with DGP, use the old one as your spare and stick with the same tyre.

went through this the other day on the wife's car-if you get a puncture and put on your spare, 9 times out of 10 the tyres have been replaced and wont match- illegal straight up but as you corrected it is not desirable only illegal if the size doesn't match-different again for staggered rims etc