Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replace or repair?!?!

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I currently have a stock white VZ SV6 and i'd like to remove the rear wing off the bootlid. I was wondering if it will be easier/cheaper to remove the wing and get the boot holes welded and resprayed. (and sell the wing to cover some of the cost) Or sell my current bootlid inc. wing and buy an exec bootlid already done.

Also, my front bar has some serious scrapping/gutter rash underneath the front and creases on the sides from droping down gutters too fast and hammering the front bar.(id like to point out all from previous owner :bang: )

Im wondering the same as above, cheaper to get someone to repair and respray it, or sell cheap and buy a new one.?

Will provide pics of front bar damage to better show if its worth repair or not.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
id just get get the bar touched up so little filler to smooth and paint and blend, or if its not obvious, i wouldnt worry about it, i scraped mine good the first time i drove it after fitting my bar... wasnt happy

bootlid its all about prices, most places would probably gill it with filler, quickest and easiest, but depending on how much you want it done proper as such

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
would want the boot welded for sure, and i expect this to = more cost.

Front bar scrapping, well lets just say its very bad. Probably more scrapes than untouched paint for sure id say.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I don't think it's possible to repair the front bar, being plastic? You'd be up for a whole new bar.

If it's not at the point where it's visible without putting your head to the pavement, I really wouldn't bother, because they inevitably get scratched sooner or later.

As for the boot, why do you want a SV6 without a spoiler? They don't look right naked :p

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I wasnt sure about the front bar being repairable or not, hence why i thought id ask here. I was hoping could be fixed with a smooth down and spray.

On a stock SV6 i would agree wing would be better, but i plan on doing a few mods and i think that no wing would suit it better.

Also, getting pics as we speak, will update with better ones in the day light, but ill try to get some to give you an idea.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
with the boot lid,
straight swap your boot as a whole, to someone that might want a spoiler,
you might get lucky. They might even get some cash your way on top.

i think im gonna try that soon

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
That looks fairly minor, I'd just hit it up with some touch-up paint if it bothers you.

You could try body filler, but it tends not to work so well on plastic parts, the plastic being quite flexible and the filler being brittle it breaks off quite easily.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Personally, i hate bog haha. Became quiet familiar with it on my old EH and dont want to go near the stuff again.

Ill will be taking to front bar off today and get some better quality pics. I want to do this to get a better idea for myself as to the extent of the damage, so ill get some pics while im at it.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
^^^^ Yep & use some 1000-1200 grit wet/dry sand paper