Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace VZ Commodore Factory Head Unit - IPOD Capable

Lindsayr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Exec Sedan
Hi There,

I have searched through but can not find any leads so thought i would ask. I have a VZ Commodore with a single CD Blaupunkt head unit. Ideally i am wanting something i can replace it with that gives me ipod aux in and preferably keep steering wheel control (but if not at least allow me to ad the CAT to do this).

Has anyone got any suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $200-300 if possible.

Thanks!

Lindsay

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Crap, i was going to say go Sony, as i'll have the mod to intercept the steering wheel controls for it done in a few weeks! But i think the iPod adaptor so you can control the ipod too is $120 alone!

Maybe check out VDO? I know they have units that support the steering wheel controls, not sure about iPod though.

Lindsayr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Exec Sedan
What sony head unit do you have?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I dont have any in my VY yet, but i'm looking at a 7" Touch Screen DVD player.

However, i do have 2 other units in other cars (my mums and brothers). Mums is basically the older version of the CDXGT570. (Which you can actually get with iPod Connectivity straight out of the box as CDXGT55IP (RRP $299 [$20 more based on RRP than the last listed one], but goto JB HiFi and see what you can get it for, it shouldn't be that much).

Actually, i just realised my brother's one is the CDXGT570. So that's cool. RRP of $279 but i got it for $180. So that iPod head unit is probably in your price range. However you'll need to remember to get a VY Single DIN mould so that it looks the part.

The Steering wheel control circuit without using a CAT i'm working on right now. The topic about it is in this section under VY-VZ Steering Wheel controls with my name under it.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Or mod the Blau to accept Aux input.... :whistling:

... and maybe even 4 channel RCA outputs if you're keen....

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Phreddy, i'm fairly sure Lindsayr wants a unit that can connect via the iPod connector so the head unit can change tracks via the unit and the steering wheel controls, which is what i understood. Otherwise he could get any head unit on the market that's cheap. Unless you or i want to develop the circuit to get Blaupunkts to accept iPods and control them? I certainly dont!

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
LOL!! You bet.... I don't have enough time now, let alone trying to find the resources to dismantle two protocols - one for the iPod and the other for the Blau - and then develop something to translate between them... :bang:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
....although I have a total HATRED of all things Apple - and I think this "iPod integration" into every bloody thing is a marketing ploy.

I don't have an iPod! And I never will!! That's where my mod is much more "generic", it works with anything that has a headphone socket. Not necessarily MP3 players either - one of my customers went home and dug out his old cassette Walkman and his old tapes he hadn't heard in years! :D (sure, tapes suck on sound quality, but...)

Lindsayr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Exec Sedan
Yep... I've just read about that. I have PM'ed you regarding it :)

Lindsayr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Exec Sedan
I just read over it again. All i actually want is Aux input. Sorry i should have made it clearer. I don't actually need the ipod integration just the Aux input. the output mod sounds good too. Do you have time to do them currently phreddy? If so, can you reply to my PM?

Thanks!