Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replaced radius rod bushes and link pins, still clunking?

VT97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
As the title says, Ive replaced the radius rod damper bushes and link pins bushes, while turning left or right i still get a clunking sound not as bad as before replacing the bushes but still clunks... Im planning to replace the control arm bushes, just wondering if anyone has an idea what other part of the suspension could cause this clunking sound?

A bit of research on here sugests that the strut top bearings or something like that could be the cause of the clunking.. but im not 100% sure

replacing the radius rod bushes and link pins really helps the car steer a lot better, actually goes where i point it now, minimal adjustment from the steering wheel and goes in a straight line... (my bushes where knackered)

Heres a pic of the old radius rod bush drivers side, hit a bollard while reversing out of a parking space... stuffed the bush completely.

Attachments

• Old RH radius rod bush.jpg
    Old RH radius rod bush.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,597

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Could be the strut top bushes. I know mine are gone, can't say I've got clunking - the car handles and rides pretty bad though - but others have had clunking when these collapse.

To check them, jack the front of the car up until the wheels are well off the ground, and steer the wheels left to right, watching the strut top plates. If there is noticable movement they are gone.

Also, when they collapse the plate tends to sit above the strut tower rather than flush with it.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
did you get ur wheel alignment done to it ? I fyou go somewhere like Pedders, they do that test for $15 where they try to find stuff. That might help you find the issue. Get the list from them and fix what you can urself.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
i had serious clunking in mine after playing around with the suspension. Turns out i ruined the swaybar links and bushes and the strut top bushes. Not a good thing to lift the bonnet before a 2 hour trip home to find the strut poking through lol
chances are it is the strut top bearing mate, for a complete set (bearing cases, housings etc.) it cost me around $300 from holden
Hope this helps
CC

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Cruzn, wouldnt you just get an after market set, Nolathane etc ?