Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replaced TCC PWM solenoid but still code 83

bazza_1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S-Pack
I understand this may have been posted elsewhere but everywhere I have looked it just says about replacing the solenoid not if problem persists after replacing.

I just replaced the TCC solenoid on my VR commodore. Refilled the fluid to right level, but still get code 83 and it wont select gears. can anyone please help me.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id start by carefully checking the auto trans wiring and connectors, including the ECU wiring plugs. Check all connectors for corroded or backed out pins. Are you sure you're getting code 83, because I couldnt find anything about code 83 for VR models.
The VR workshop manual shows that the only auto transmsion codes that have to do with the TCC are Code 67= Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit fault, and code 69, which = Torque converter clutch stuck on.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hi, the attached file may help you:

Attachments

• DTC 83 V6 PCM.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,052

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
That code shows up on the code list here on this site. Just Commodores - For All Your Holden Commodore Needs

Code 83 - TCC PWM Solenoid Fault - Auto Transmission Only

(see the list of codes in post number 43 in this link) https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised-2.22307
because Ive noticed before that some VR and VS error codes are mixed up, therefore some codes arent right. The VR and the VS workshop manuals both show that VR error codes (including auto trans codes) only go to code 82, whereas the VS codes go up to code 97 (including auto trans codes).

The auto transmission error codes for VR are-
Code 27- Pressure switch assembly open circuit.
Code 28- Pressure switch assembly short circuit.
Code 52- System voltage high (sustained).
Code 53- System voltage high.
Code 58- Fluid temp signal (voltage high).
Code 59- Fluid temp signal (Voltage low).
Code 66- 2 to 3 control solenoid circuit.
Code 67- Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit fault.
Code 68- Transmission slipping.
Code 69- Torque converter clutch stuck on.
Code 73- Pressure control solenoid
Code 75- System voltage low.
Code 79- Fluid temperature high.
Code 81- 2 to 3 shift solenoid circuit fault.
Code 82- 1 to 2 shift solenoid circuit fault

The VS transmission error codes are -
Code 28
Code 58.
Code 59.
Code 66.
Code 67.
Code 69.
Code 73.
Code 75.
Code 79.
Code 81.
Code 82.
Code 83.
Unlike the VR workshop manual, the VS workshop manual doesnt show what the actual auto trans codes mean.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Members may find the attached charts of use:

Attachments

• Diagnostic Codes V6 Engine.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 638
  • Diagnostic Codes V8 engine with ECM (manual).pdf
    11.4 KB · Views: 365
  • Diagnostic Codes V8 engine with PCM (auto).pdf
    14.2 KB · Views: 364

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might have a code 83. Can not yet confirm because the paperclip method is saying I have error 38, which is not a VR code. Where would I find this solenoid?? Also what is the full name for this solenoid? I want to see if I can order one once I confirm my trans actually has one.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Attached is the quad driver files...have a look at 'trans outputs1 pdf" page 5....
As I said before you need to check what PCM,memcal and trans you have. The VR v6 came out with 2 slightly different transmissions and if you have a mixed setup you will get strange unrelated errors...
Lastly I wouldn't stress to much, the trans have fallback settings should certain non critical electronics fail..of all the V6 Ive run diagnostic checks on all but one has come up with trans errors, they all still ran fine.....

Attachments

• Quad Drivers.zip
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 378

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Attached is the quad driver files...have a look at 'trans outputs1 pdf" page 5....
As I said before you need to check what PCM,memcal and trans you have. The VR v6 came out with 2 slightly different transmissions and if you have a mixed setup you will get strange unrelated errors...
Lastly I wouldn't stress to much, the trans have fallback settings should the certain non critical electronics fail..of all the V6 Ive run diagnostic checks on all but one has come up with trans errors, they all still ran fine.....

According to the trans tech someone has dropped in a new trans at some point. I was gonna leave the memcal until I get a new one from Mace next month. The TCC sensor is a $50 part but there are two different ones of the same part. Makes it a tad confusing because not sure if I need the down shift sensor or the TCC. From what I can tell they are the same part but on later transmissions they had something to do with the TC. But then I think it needs a later PCM to have the later function???:confused::confused: According to the trans tech shift solenoids will leave you stranded as when they go the gears won't shift. From what you are saying the other solenoid won't leave me stranded. What is odd, is that 9 months ago I didn't have the code 38 or 83 which ever one it is. Fortunately both shift solenoids were replaced last Oct, when the service was done.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Read the file as per the post above it will explain the 83 code....