Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacement Conrod/ main cap bolts

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbocharged vg ute, sbc r31 skyline wagon, multip
Hello didn’t want to make a whole thread but i cant seem to find any bolts or info about replacement bolts,

in the process of rebuilding a buick 3.8 and just wanted to see if people are replacing the conrod bolts and also the main cap bolts? I know with head bolts, flywheel bolts are generally a one time use once they’re torqued is it the same for these bolts?

Im guessing they can be reused as I can’t seem to find any replacements?
Any help appreciated

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Hello didn’t want to make a whole thread but i cant seem to find any bolts or info about replacement bolts,

in the process of rebuilding a buick 3.8 and just wanted to see if people are replacing the conrod bolts and also the main cap bolts? I know with head bolts, flywheel bolts are generally a one time use once they’re torqued is it the same for these bolts?

Im guessing they can be reused as I can’t seem to find any replacements?
Any help appreciated

Its best to replace the bolts you mentioned,any Engine Builder should be able to help.
The workshops,like Harrop, in Melb. that built the Buick racing engines in the 1990's would probaly have boxes of them left over.

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its best to replace the bolts you mentioned,any Engine Builder should be able to help.
The workshops,like Harrop, in Melb. that built the Buick racing engines in the 1990's would probaly have boxes of them left over.

ah sweet im in nz so were in full lockdown at the moment so just been trying to source things online or find out whos got what for when things open back up, im rebuilding it myself but i might have to ring around them once where out of lockdown and see weather i can get them here or have to order them in from aus

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
MACE might have some bolts to suit. There will be ARP bolts to suit if you are willing to pay.

Flywheel bolts are TTY and should be replaced. I used ARP bolts on mine
Rod bolts are re-usable I believe.
I think the mains are re-usable also.

I think it was ecotec where GM changed a lot of the fasteners to TTY type, use once and throw away after removal.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
ah sweet im in nz so were in full lockdown at the moment so just been trying to source things online or find out whos got what for when things open back up, im rebuilding it myself but i might have to ring around them once where out of lockdown and see weather i can get them here or have to order them in from aus
MACE might have some bolts to suit. There will be ARP bolts to suit if you are willing to pay.
Like this:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bloke who replaced all my crank bearings reused the bolts. They are not TTY. Rods are more likely to elongate than have bolt problems.

H

harrop.senator

When using arp you need to mic the holes out really well. A lot of them the extra clamp ovals the set up and need the mains align honed or the rods resized.

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride

Flywheel bolts are TTY and should be replaced. I used ARP bolts on mine
Rod bolts are re-usable I believe.
I think the mains are re-usable also.

I think it was ecotec where GM changed a lot of the fasteners to TTY type, use once and throw away after removal.

Yeah always replace flywheel bolts i like my legs lol yeah I haven’t herd many people replacing main cap bolts so think ill be ok then and just replace rod and flywheel bolts

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Rod bolts aren't TTY. Upgrade if you want to rev the motor more.