Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacement key for VY series 2

dexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec wagon
I understand that commodores after the VX cant have a complete key made from VIN codes and the like - that an original key is needed. But what about just a transponder key - with no remote fob? Can a transponder key be cut and coded for the car without the need for an original?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From my understanding you need to go to the dealer and get a blank. Then the dealer sends the code to the locksmith and the locksmith can cut and program the key. If you don't buy the key from Holden the locksmith won't be given the code. Not sure if it is the same Aust wide but that is the process in Tas. Also in Tas the dealer gives the code to the locksmith direct you don't get the code, so you can't buy one off eBay and get and extra one or two made.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You might get lucky if you can find a locksmith that can read the code on your key and copy it to a new key.

dexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec wagon
A related question: My old key is so worn that it has trouble opening the door and turning the ignition. If a new key was just cut using the old key as a template, the new key would have the same trouble. Can a locksmith cut from a code rather than from physically copying the old key?

sickboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Chev.. VT V6.. VY Wagon V6
If your key is too worn it won't be able to be copied. I had same problem so got code for key at a holden dealer for free to give to the locksmith so they could cut it. So yes..

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Holden dealer will give you the code for your vehicle. You will just need proof that you own said vehicle.