Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacement steering wheel

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
Hi all,

I have a series 3 vs ute in need of a steering wheel replacement. It is not fitted with the optional airbag.

Do I need to replace this with another standard wheel or can I look into aftermarket wheels? Is there anything I need to consider in regards to adr compliance?

I apologise if this has been asked before but my searches turned up mixed answers.

Cheers

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Depends on what you want..As its a non airbag model then aftermarket is a good alternative...SAAS wheels and boss kits are ADR approved, same as most momo's and a few others...
Most of the stock wheels are beat up and prob roll at the top..though you may come across a few NOS ones from time to time, if you can find a hsv one for under $500 grab it :)

ps Check your cars id plate that has the ADR numbers, if it has adr69 it must have an airbag(wont be the first time a previous owner swapped one out)
all steering wheels fitted to post 1970 cars have to be adr10 compliant...most are but not all

Last edited:

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
ps Check your cars id plate that has the ADR numbers, if it has adr69 it must have an airbag(wont be the first time a previous owner swapped one out)
all steering wheels fitted to post 1970 cars have to be adr10 compliant...most are but not all

Thanks for the reply.

Forgive my ignorance but neither of the plates under the bonnet mention any adr numbers. I assume I’m probably looking in the wrong place?

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
No worries, i’m pretty sure the vehicle is mostly original but I think i’ll contact Holden and see if they can shed some light on what the vehicle came with from the factory. It never hurts to be too sure.

Assuming it did in fact come without an airbag fitted, I’ll see what’s available aftermarket. Hopefully I can find something not too gaudy.

Thanks for your help

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I like the look of those wooden steering wheels. That's what i am going to get one day. Size of the wheel used to be the main thing, legalities wise. Needed to be the same as original and not smaller.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Had a drive once of a small wheel not bad

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
So this would not be legal?