Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacement sump

Clemine

Reaction score
Members Ride
1932 Ford
Hi, I am building a hot rod and using a VR V6 with T5 box. I would like to replace the sump with something a little prettier. The Buick 231 V6 sump from the States looks like it will fit the bolt pattern but I'm worried about the frame that seems to be connected to the manual bellhousing from the sump. Is it necessary?
What other options are there?
I have seen an alloy original sump, does this have the bracket to the bellhousing?
Regards Clem
Screenshot_20210606-230401_Samsung Internet.jpg

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm pretty sure the brackets bolt to the pan rail not the sump it's self.
I have an auto on the hoist can have a look at that in about 45mins if that's any help.
But the main bolts that hold the bell housing to the block will be fine.
I've seen VL commodores with the RB30 making enough power to run 10's and 9's and they only use 4 small bolts.

Clemine

Reaction score
Members Ride
1932 Ford
I'm pretty sure the brackets bolt to the pan rail not the sump it's self.
I have an auto on the hoist can have a look at that in about 45mins if that's any help.
But the main bolts that hold the bell housing to the block will be fine.
I've seen VL commodores with the RB30 making enough power to run 10's and 9's and they only use 4 small bolts.
Yes Shane that would be great. My daughter has a VY auto and I was going to have a look at that.
I will pull my sump off today and have a further look at that bracket.
And yes, most bellhousings I have seen only have bolts around the top half anyway.
Thanks heaps mate.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes Shane that would be great. My daughter has a VY auto and I was going to have a look at that.
I will pull my sump off today and have a further look at that bracket.
And yes, most bellhousings I have seen only have bolts around the top half anyway.
Thanks heaps mate.

VY is alloy sump and not the same.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The alloy Ecotec sump isn't a straight bolt on, there are slight differences around the rear mounting bolts. I have seen Steel 3800 V6 sumps modified to fit on the ecotec so it's not an impossible swap if you have some fabricating skills.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
A VR V6 will be a steel sump from factory. The VS V6 ecotec had the alloy sump with the brackets.
Do you have a VR V6 L27 or a VS V6 L36 ecotec ?

Clemine

Reaction score
Members Ride
1932 Ford
A VR V6 will be a steel sump from factory. The VS V6 ecotec had the alloy sump with the brackets.
Do you have a VR V6 L27 or a VS V6 L36 ecotec ?
The engine was from a VR Wagon, 3800 so I think it is the L27. Same as Buick 231?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
The engine was from a VR Wagon, 3800 so I think it is the L27. Same as Buick 231?
Just checking your engine has a 1 piece inlet manifold with 3800 on top and can not remove the top plate ?

When I searched Buick 231, I found it refers to 231ci which is 3800 and could be Buick V6 from 1970's as they were referred to as 231 ??

Just another thought that some of these were front wheel drive in the USA and the baffles may be different and could also require a matching oil pick-up.

Last edited:

Clemine

Reaction score
Members Ride
1932 Ford
Yes, I expect there may be some work to do on the baffles, oil pickup and also oil dip stick. The usa sump that has the deepest part of the sump at the front is the 264-141.
The drain plug on this one is metric too.
You can see it here https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-64699-264-141.aspx?origin=keyword
Has the dimensions there too.
My biggest worry is the bracket to the bellhousing, but I may just need to fab something. I will pull the sump today and have a squiz.