Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing 2.92 Diff - Power / RPM

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
I have a Berlina 6L Auto with a 2.92 diff. What sort of power gain is expected with a 3.45? Since it's 18% higher, would that be the difference in RPM (at the same speed) or am I off the mark? Basically just asking as a "bang for buck" upgrade and what I could expected.

PS. I did do a search but could not find answers to these 2 question.

Thanks

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
You won't actually gain power. Changing the ratio just changes where the power is ie: top or bottom end.

Going to a shorter ratio will make it launch harder, which will make it feel faster :p, but the trade off is it will rev higher in the top end.

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
I'm sorry. I should have said what sort of "torque" gain is expected, not power gain. My bad.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Even when considering torque, it's not really a 'gain'. You're not adding torque, more redistributing it, if that makes sense. The car will launch harder as said and be able to keep more 'meat' through lower revs - but it will top out quicker, as said.

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
Actually now you guys have explained it, I feel like a d!ckhead. I should have known that. Do you guys think a 3.45 is on the money. ATM I have 325rwhp with just tune.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I went from a 2.92 to a 3.27 and it was money well spent, gets off the line heaps better. Stonex went from 2.92 to 3.45 so he'll be able to answer your question.

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
Thanks Juzo. I think a 3.45 is definatley the way to go since it doesn't sacrifice too much top end.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve berlina 3.6L
iv also got a ve berlina 06 and i want to put a LSD in it should i just stick with a 2.95 or go to a 3.45 anyone can help me out ?