Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing a WINDING window

jhock112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Commodore
Hi guys,

Recently some mother effer randomly smashed my drivers window in.

I've bought myself a new one and gave it a shot at replacing it but i've run into a brick all and there is knacker all help out there for VR's with winding windows. It seems the whole forum world only cares about electric windows.

I've taken ALL the door trim off but that still dosent give me access to the winder. To do so i need to separate the door but it's all pressed metal. How the hell am I meant to get into there to change it??

Someone please help! It's winter where i live... driving without a window is bloody cold.

Cheers,

Jhock

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
The winder should not need to be removed?
First I would make sure all the broken glass is removed... Never had to this on a Vr. Anyway on some doors there is bolt on the side that loosens the window guide rail?
I think the trim on the outside that keeps crap from going in the door also needs to be removed.
Also at the bottom of the window that attaches to the regulator (winder) there is a screw/bolt at each end that needs to be undone. The window needs to be wound down to a point where you can see these screws/bolts through the gaps on the door.

I am not sure this will help, but at least I gave it a shot.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
the winder mechanism shouldnt need changing,just the window.
to put the window in,i cant remember exactly how it goes but i do remember the window had to go on an angle.
the bottom pointy bit of the window that aims towards the front of the car had to go in first aiming towards the ground and then it sort of went from there...