Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing air con blower in a VS

davo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore calais
The wiring on my blower has shorted out and the air con is no longer going. I was quoted $650 with labour to fix it. His reason for the high price was that VS dashes were hard to take apart and the blower is hard to get to.

So does this sound unreasonable? How hard would it be to do it myself and what tools would I need?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
there is no easy way, I 'm afraid...
The wiring on my blower has shorted out and the air con is no longer going. I was quoted $650 with labour to fix it. His reason for the high price was that VS dashes were hard to take apart and the blower is hard to get to.

So does this sound unreasonable? How hard would it be to do it myself and what tools would I need?

Well that was fun , I had the Aircon guy come out for a look since i only just spent $1795 on the aircon at Xmas . He had a look and stated the gas had to be dropped and the whole dash pulled apart (Approx $160 + fan + labour).
Well I was looking for another way I went to the wreckers and pulled apart about 4 VN's to get a good idea of how they went together, supprise all wrecked VN have there aircon still in them .

Well what I did was
Total time 4.5 hrs and cost $15
1. Got a really good fan (second one I pulled out )
2. Now with my car I undid the left air vents
3. Lossened but didnt remove the 2 screw in the engine bay
4. Removed the 2 large screws that support he fan
5. Removed all the carpet and underlay
6. I undid the nut on the fan to remove the motor off it
7. I undid the 2 bottom screws on the back of the fan motor crappy job I used a spanner
8. The hatefull part , I hacked off the bottom support, so the motor could be pulled down.
9. I then yanked the motor out as the top screw is a **** an there is no room for your hand (Ps I did bust my hands up a bit) but you can do this as the screws are mount in rubber.
10. I then removed the top screw.
11. I put the new fan motor in
12. Put the nut of the fan
13. Did up the 2 screws on the fan motor.
14. The problem I had to get the top screw back in , luckly I have small hands I was able to get the screw in the hole and using the spanner , flicked it around for about 2 hrs, whilst lying on my back and I got it done up. (more bruses cuts and now a back ache) but if you don't put it in the fan rattles.
15. Did all the screws back up and I was going to glue the bracket I cut off back on but you don't need it. I did all the screws up and put everything back together and all blowing better than it ever did.

Lesson learnt :- Next time sell the car