Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing anttena how do you replace?

Paintabruh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore acclaim V6
Ok sounds odd but i dont no how to replace my anttena im guessing im going to have to take of my side left panel which is a pain in the arse, ive got a VR 96, any help please?

Sweet az

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
easy job did it the other day actually....only need to remove the plastic inner guard (2 screws and 3-4 of those plactic clips with the screw in the middle, there should be a mounting bracket attaching the Aeriel to the sub frame. to undo this you will have to remove your passenger kick panel and ur computer(but no need to unplug-just move aside to gain access to the nut on the back of the mounting bracket.) (also the antenna cable from your head unit should have a connector just there too(underneath/behind glovebox)) make sure ur Aeriel is down because it makes it harder to remove when its up. disconnect the 2 wires for the antenna up down feature and or remote and the antenna cable and simply drop down inside the guard. no need to remove the plastic locating clip on the guard(where the aeriel protrudes) i found just jacking up the front left enough access but you might want to take ur wheel off too. if your replacing it with one exactly the same just reverse these steps to install, if your using an aftermarket jobby from supercheap you will have to bend the bracket supplied to suit the angle and positioning of the unit, fiddle with this for a bit and test it all before you bolt it all in, you may also have to find a smaller nut/bolt combo for the aftermarket mounting bracket as the holes are smaller than that of the original. i just used a nut and bolt from the original aeriel bracket where it attatches to the old unit itslef. be sure its earthed adequately also. hope this helps

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
Ok sounds odd but i dont no how to replace my anttena im guessing im going to have to take of my side left panel which is a pain in the arse, ive got a VR 96, any help please?

Sweet az

To replace a manual aerial, you need to remove the inner plastic mudguard liner, the side kick panel inside the passenger footwell and the lower dash cover panel under the glovebox. The whole aerial is replaced as a unit, not just the mast.

The guard lining is retained by a few self tappers and a number of plastic scrivets, which can be pulled out by using good pliers. To gain access to them, jack up the front left hand wheel and remove it, then remove the scrivets and about four screws around the wheel opening. Once you have removed all the retainers, pull the lining out of the opening and you will see the remains of the aerial. It should have been held in by a small bracket bolted to the inner guard panel and will also have a small earth wire running to a mounting tab just above the mounting bolt. The wire just pulls off the tab.

Inside the car, the lower dash panel is just clipped into place at two spots. Just pull it down and it will drop away. Unscrew the footwell light if there is one.

The kick panel also unclips which gives access to the lead where it feeds outside the car.

The aerial lead feeds through a grommet in the inner guard and connects to the radio lead above the glovebox. Just unplug it and feed the lead out through the inner guard, release the mounting bolt and remove the old aerial.

Reverse the whole procedure to install the new aerial. Keep the aerial mast retracted during installation.good luck i hope all works out well

Paintabruh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore acclaim V6
thanks for the step by step info mate might give it a try but sounds like alot for just that haha they didnt wana make it easy thats for sure

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
thanks for the step by step info mate might give it a try but sounds like alot for just that haha they didnt wana make it easy thats for sure

no worries mate, it isnt really that hard...takes about 20-40 mins tops..the hardest step i found was removing the kick panel lol,