Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing brake pads without surfacing rotors.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
VF SV6 Rotors and Brake Pads.

Done about 45k kms on original front pads and rotors.

What is the minimum thickness a VF's front rotor can be taken down to legally without warping cracking etc. ?

If the existing rotors are true and not badly gouged, grooved etc. can new brake pads be fitted and gently run-in for a few hundred KMs?
Are the Bendix pads genuine equipment and are they "normal" pads or "sporty" on the SV6 ?

Last time this happened the brake people ripped my VT's rotors to factory minimum even though they were not warped and had no gouging and minimum of wear.
Their policy was to grind to minimum legal, so there were no problems, for them.

Thanks in advance

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not sure on minimum thickness but once a rotor is at or below minimum thickness by law they must be replaced...

On the rotor it has minimum thickness on it so combined with a pair of vernier calipers or even cooperation with the person doing your brakes, you can see for yourself if they are at or below minimum thickness

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
At 45000km they will be fine but you can measure. Given that stock pads are organic, you can put more agressive, semi metalic pads without machining the rotors if they dont have big lip...

Min thickness for those rotors is 28mm

There are many pads better than bendix.

Try Remsa or DBA XP...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Machining down to minimum thickness (as policy) is a crime. The rotor is a heat sink, removing metal reduces it's ability to absorb and shed heat. Avoid that shop at all costs.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Unless you have 50% left on the rotor, why bother?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I normally machine or replace rotors each pad change. Some places will always machine or replace, some won't. Normally I've had places only give them a skim, not lathe them right down.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I always sand my rotors with wet and dry when changing pads if they don't require a skim

This removes the old pad material from the surface of the rotor, I concider this is a must when changing pad brands/compounds for initial bedding in

Your brake pads don't actually run against the metal of the disc, the pad lays a layer of its material on the disc, this is what gives the friction

I then clean everything with brake clean on assembly

I'm currently running Forsa FP2 on my old VX SS, good bite from cold, no real noticable dust, my old pads were QFM HPX

I find the FP2 perform better than the old, HPX

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
you can buy the parts what ever brand you like and get the shop to fit them because you can get some really good deals online right now with stock take sales or best is the black friday deals and i prefer new to machining

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
VF SV6 Rotors and Brake Pads.

Done about 45k kms on original front pads and rotors.

What is the minimum thickness a VF's front rotor can be taken down to legally without warping cracking etc. ?

If the existing rotors are true and not badly gouged, grooved etc. can new brake pads be fitted and gently run-in for a few hundred KMs?
Are the Bendix pads genuine equipment and are they "normal" pads or "sporty" on the SV6 ?

Last time this happened the brake people ripped my VT's rotors to factory minimum even though they were not warped and had no gouging and minimum of wear.
Their policy was to grind to minimum legal, so there were no problems, for them.

Thanks in advance

You have your info mixed up.

When machining you cant pass minimum thickness this is due to heat not warping.
I've only ever seen one set of warped rotors in the 13 years I've been in the trade and that was from hitting water. Disc thickness variation (DTV) is what causes brake shudder and is a caliper issue not a rotor issue.

If you use OE Holden pads it will be fine.

At work we always explain, without a machine you risk noise and vibration and you don't get warranty without a machine. But I've pad slapped many cars and if you use the same pad again you never have an issue.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
You have your info mixed up.

When machining you cant pass minimum thickness this is due to heat not warping.
I've only ever seen one set of warped rotors in the 13 years I've been in the trade and that was from hitting water. Disc thickness variation (DTV) is what causes brake shudder and is a caliper issue not a rotor issue.

If you use OE Holden pads it will be fine.

At work we always explain, without a machine you risk noise and vibration and you don't get warranty without a machine. But I've pad slapped many cars and if you use the same pad again you never have an issue.
What does “pad slapped” mean?